Opinion on Elixir strings or coated competitors

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I love D'Addario but in fact I haven't checked any other brand in a long time.

The problem is, even if I don't sweat a lot, I just can't stand the degradation of D'addario playability and quality after only an hour or two. I notice how beautiful a high note sounds with a new set of strings, but an hour or two later, it already sounds horrible to play even a few notes anywhere near the higher range when it comes to serious recording.

I recently bought a guitar which came already in Elixir strings. It's a nice 7 string fanned guitar, so it may be a factor as well indeed, but damn these things seem to last weeks and stay more or less clean. I suppose in recording, they could stay a few hours fresh for soloing and probably a day or two for rythm recording ?

Another factor is that I don't play that often, and having to re-string the guitar every time I feel like playing a few days is a pain in the ass, while my 7 string guitar just doesn't care how long I haven't played with it. I got it 2/3 months ago and its strings are still good.

I am very used to Light Top/Heavy bottom (10/52) d'Addario.

Any recommendation on Elixir ? Any downside ?
Nanoweb ? Polyweb ? D'addario coated ?

I've tried DR's and Elixers. Granted, this was probably over 5 years ago when I did, but the problem I noticed is that the coating would wear off in the area where I pick.

I've never done a length test with them compared to my beloved Ernie Balls. I've been thinking about going back to D'Aaddario because I hear they stay bright longer than EBs.

I don't do a whole lot of serious recording, and it's a real pain to have to change strings just for a single 8-10 hour session of my own material for demo purposes, but as we all know, fresh strings TOTALLY make a big difference especially in clean sections.

I don't know about ernie balls anymore, but for me the d'addario are not enjoyable anymore after only 30/60mn maximum, and I'm not even sweating so much. I did a try recently, I cleaned my whole guitar with dunlop products, I even used a bit of Fast Fret, and I cleaned my hands with alcohol before restringing, or playing. After an hour, the solo notes didn't sound round anymore, and became this horrible sound that screams "dirty strings". In the first dozens of minutes I enjoy soloing a LOT, I feel like breathing fresh air again and the note sound clean and precise, but it doesn't last long enough. I recorded a song for fun, I had to re-track a solo section I accidentally deleted while I did an hour or two of rhythm, and it just sounded horrible compared to the first section recorded straight away. Still usable for rhythm I guess but it didn't sound huge either. Maybe my sweat is very acid ? I don't know, but I've always had this problem

In my old own experience, I found d'addario way brighter and overall nicer than ernie balls. I remember my Lâg guitar (my very first one, a strat-like for beginners) came with elixir strings and they lasted so long.

Never heard of those clear tone !

I highly suggest you to try out a set of Cleartone strings. They use a special treatment process which is different from coating strings but has a similar effect without or almost no coated feel. They also sounded a bit louder than the other strings I used if I remember correctly.

http://www.cleartonestrings.com/treated-guitar-strings-vs-coated-strings/

Wow so cleartone is basically just using neverwet adapted for guitar strings? Nice!

I've actually just bought my first ever set of coated strings (d'addario) to test out how they sound compared to uncoated (youtube shootout coming soon!)
My assumption is that although they "last longer" I'm expecting them to sound duller right from being fresh out the packet compared to an uncoated string, so what you're "gaining" in longevity you're actually just losing in the original brightness.
Might see if I can get a set of cleartones to add to the shootout.

Last edited by a moderator:
surprised to see all the hate for elixirs, i love them. still sound like 90% new strings after 3 months. they may be slightly darker out of the pack than non coated strings but i find brand new strings to be a little on the bright side anyways before they get broken in.

Ok I'm totally buying some packs of cleartones, I'm just asking them a bit of information about the differences between normal and "heavy" strings (as well as the dave mustaine ones which happen to be exactly my favorite gauges 10-52) and I'll order at the same time a pack or two of elixirs and see the difference, and if I can, post here the results (compared with a last try with d'addario just before)

I don't mind if I loose a bit of brightness on the very first moment. I'd rather have consistent qualities, and why not once in a while throw some d'addario just for the sake of solo recording only since I like their feel for that. Now if only I practiced guitar enough to make it matter :lol:

I have tried a ton of different strings in my lifetime. I have stayed with the DR Dimebag strings for a while. They seems to keep the bright tone a long time and they aren't coated. Most of the coated strings start losing the coating after a while. I never tried the other DR strings, maybe they are good too.

I don't know about ernie balls anymore, but for me the d'addario are not enjoyable anymore after only 30/60mn maximum, and I'm not even sweating so much. I did a try recently, I cleaned my whole guitar with dunlop products, I even used a bit of Fast Fret, and I cleaned my hands with alcohol before restringing, or playing. After an hour, the solo notes didn't sound round anymore, and became this horrible sound that screams "dirty strings". In the first dozens of minutes I enjoy soloing a LOT, I feel like breathing fresh air again and the note sound clean and precise, but it doesn't last long enough. I recorded a song for fun, I had to re-track a solo section I accidentally deleted while I did an hour or two of rhythm, and it just sounded horrible compared to the first section recorded straight away. Still usable for rhythm I guess but it didn't sound huge either. Maybe my sweat is very acid ? I don't know, but I've always had this problem

In my old own experience, I found d'addario way brighter and overall nicer than ernie balls. I remember my Lâg guitar (my very first one, a strat-like for beginners) came with elixir strings and they lasted so long.

Never heard of those clear tone !

welcome to my nightmare man!

iirc most coated strings only have the bottom strings coated,
the blank ones are still normal strings, so for solo work it might
not make any difference at all.

the cleartone stuff looks very interesting though, i'ill give this a try :)

I've been working in repairs for a long time now. People have requested every single set of strings I can think of to be put on there guitar. I've seen everything with strings. People putting them on backwards. People GLUING them in to the tuning machines using titebond/super glue. Hell, I even saw one guy who soldered his strings into his tuning machines..

Too me, personally, anything that's getting on the string is going to prevent it from vibrating freely.
Because of this I feel like you'd loose some tone (as little as it may be).

The main difference between the Elixir and the Cleartones being that Elixir sprays there strings and Cleartone has a "treatment process". This causes the more natural feel on the Cleartones. (This is what my rep has told me at least.)

DR's coated strings just suck ass. They shed all over your fingerboard and dirty it up real quick.

The Ernieball Cobalts oxidize SUPER quick. We're talking like a week.
The Ernieball M-Steels have very little tensile strength and snap very easily. This is due to both being made out of cobalt instead of traditional nickel. (Cobalt is way softer than nickel although more magnetic)

I've always LOVED D'Addario.
I dig the NY D'Addario strings. But the rule I was talking about earlier still applies. If anything could be preventing the string from vibrating fully, then I would not use it for recording.

I'd use the NY's on a guitar that I just want around the house to play and I would take the time to restring my Loomis 7 for some recording.

Some were very surprising. The elixir did not do so greate, the ernie balls surprisingly well (but I don't like them personally) and the cleartone had an interesting result.

That made me interested in the Cleartone.

I actually just bought a pack of 12 clear tone 10-52 (light top heavy bottom as I don't like having heavy strings for soloing)
a pack of Mustaine Heavy clear tone (the Heavy ones have a bigger core to break strings less often, supposedly better for metal, and the Mustaine pack is precisely a 10-52)
and a couple light 7 strings (9 - 52).

If anyone is interested in a few 10-52 (light top heavy bottom) in europe i could re-sell them because I couldn't buy a single set on the website I used, it had to be a 12 set pack. I don't need so many right now but being in europe I had to take a decision.

I'll do a shoot out between
D'addario
Cleartone
Heavy Cleartone
Elixir if I can find a pack here quickly (I didn't on that website)

with a feeling point of view. I won't check their durability, although I know the d'addario durability, and I think the set I will leave on the guitar at first will be the heavy one (mustaine) unless the normal one felt better to me, in which case I would put it back on the guitar, and would comment after some time how good it performs over time

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of both D'addarios and Elixirs. Here's my preference list.

E-guitars in drop-B:
1)D'addario XL Nickel 11-56, oh I'm loving, LOVING it!). Sometimes with additional coated 0.20 for a G-string and 0.60 for the lowest string.
2)Elixir Nanoweb, 11-49 + 56 or 12-52 +56. A big drawback with Elixirs is that they have a gap between 56 and 68 calibres. I'd love to use something like 59 or 60.

E-guitars in drop-C#:
1)D'addario XL Nickel 10-52 on 24.75 scales, 9-46 + additional 0.49 on 25.5 scales.
2)Elixir Nanoweb, same scales.

Basses (I'm using too many different tunings to name them all):
1)Dean Markley Blue Steel. Amazing strings, oh I love them. I even love them when they go dark, they still roar in a vintage way.
2)DR Hi-Beam. Very nice strings, and they're nice on fingertips.
3)D'addario XL Nickel for brighter basses or for non-metal styles of playing and D'addario ProSteels for metal.
4)Elixirs at Summer when I just want to rehearse a lot without becoming paranoid. Also for recording bass players who have chemically active sweat.

Acoustic guitars:
Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze. I actually love them more then any other uncoated strings. Plus, they're not that creaky on chord changes.

I've noticed that Elixirs sound best when not too tight. I mean, if you're a guy who doesn't like super-thick gauges and tight tensions (like me), you'll probably enjoy them. Plus, I've noticed that Elixirs tend to intonate a little better then any other brands. Especially on bass (meaning, the thicker the string, the more you'll notice it).

Speaking of coating as of something preventing strings from vibrating freely and fully, I'd bring up a counterargument: after an hour, sometimes less with some really sweaty-handed musicians, the strings are coated with their sweat and epithelium, and that coating is a much, much bigger problem. So, when I know that there may be a problem with sweat, especially for bass players, I set their instruments up with Elixirs for recording. Otherwise it's D'addario for e-gtrs, D'addario, DR or Dean Markley Blue Steel for basses and Elixirs for acoustic guitars.

Tried Cleartones several times and to me the heavier gauges sounded a bit dull and rough. Thin gauges (9-42, 9-46) were cool. But that's a question of taste, I believe.

i call BS on anyone who says they could identify coated vs non-coated strings on the same guitar in a blind test

On bass the difference is huge. On electric guitar in a mix - I doubt it. But if you know it's there - you will notice. Super-fresh D'addarios XL will be so crunchy and articulate, that will clang through any distortion comparing to the same set of coated strings. If played well, for sure:)

On bass the difference is huge. On electric guitar in a mix - I doubt it. But if you know it's there - you will notice. Super-fresh D'addarios XL will be so crunchy and articulate, that will clang through any distortion comparing to the same set of coated strings. If played well, for sure:)

I can accept this.

My opinion on coated strings is that they definitely do last longer and sound better for longer but that magic window where they sound at there best, where you want to be recording with them, isn't really any longer. For me it would come down to what application you have. If you're recording I don't think there's any benefit, if it's for practising I'd say go for it.

One other thing I've noticed is that for some players strings just seem to die quickly and for others they seem to last ages. I seem to be able to get away with keeping strings on for a while, but when they die it's like someone flipped a switch. What I don't understand is that it's not necessarily down to a persons sweat. I think the way they play and the way they tune has a lot to do with it.