getting new strings for tracking?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hey guys!

Ok so I'm about to start bass/guitar tracking for my band's new demo and I really wanna go above and beyond to get the best sound possible with what I have (I'm actually wanted to ask someone here to reamp for me later on so let me know if ur interested)...ok so here is my question.

I'm getting new strings just for tracking obviously but as I've read on here I can go as far as changing strings for every song...so that's what we are gonna do, does it really make that major of difference?...does anyone one know any way to make strings stretch faster so we can continue tracking asap? Cause it has to be a pain in the ass to record with brand new strings. How long should I wait to resume tracking?

Also, I wanted to know what would you recommend as for string gueage and brand for our record...we play on ibanez 6 string S-series on dropped B flat tuning *sight*

...also..let me know if you need any more info to be able to steer me the right way..and if you have anymore suggestions to make things sound better

Thanks in advace guys!

fresh strings are highly recommended. if you're serious about your project i suggest changing strings every song or two if they are short. i wouldn't track more than 3-4 songs MAX with the same set regardless of how serious you are about it. in my experience new strings take around 10 minutes to settle in, and then sound pretty much the same for 3-4 hours. after that it goes downhill fast.
it is especially recommended to change the bass strings, too. fresh strings will get you a much better bass tone, trust me.

as for stretching them, search google, there are a few tutorials out there that explain how to get them in shape pretty fast.

regarding string gauge, depends on your playing style of course, but generally i tend to go for as high as possible. i use 13-62 d'addarios (exl 158) for C standard. it's workable on B standard, too, but almost too thin for my taste. ernie ball not even slinky (12-56) should be fine for your tuning....maybe a bit thin on the lowest strings, but then again i love really fat strings and i'm used to the way they play.

edit: just noticed you're on drop B *flat*. i'd recommend the d'addario exl 158 then.

Eh probably just better to buy some Elixirs and be done with it.
That way you don't need to keep replacing strings throughout a tracking session

+1 for Elixir strings, although I've heard good things about the DR coated strings as well. I'm a believer in coated strings, which in my experience maintain that 'spank' of new strings for a much longer time. (and I hate re-stringing)

And +1 on .013 gauge for your tuning.

The need to re-string will depend on the intensity of your playing and how many takes you do during the recording process. When you notice your guitar starts losing the 'twang' and rich overtones of new strings, change them. I personally don't see the point in re-stringing after EVERY song just for the sake of it. Others will digress. Just my opinion.

Coating or tarnish or anything like that has nothing to do with string degradation in this case. It is metal fatigue. At least according to every string maker I know.

The coating really only helps for guitars that are sitting for long periods where oxidation can occur.

After playing the wire elasticity, the frets will leave dimples in the strings. Someones even causing permanenent kinks if you play really hard. These will cause tonal changes as well as intonation problems, even buzzing in extreme cases.

If you are tuning to Low-b, look at 7-string sets with a wound G. So like 12-56 or something. Heavier will be tighter and generally better tone.

To stretch them right after putting them on fresh, I will pull up on them and stretch them to the nut and back to the bridge. I learned this from a very reputable tech and it works extremely well. After that and a re-tune I rarely have to tune again. I can run them for about 3-4 weeks playing 2-3x a week for a few hours each time... plus a couple extra for shows.

DR says this will cause the string to go dead faster. I have also read even clipping them causes stress on the string and deadens them.

Anyway DR also overwinds their strings, so that might be true for theirs. Or it might be true about strings in general, but I think in the album case where you are changing strings every song or couple songs, I don't think it matters much.

In the studio, I change them around every 4 hours or so of playing. With floyds, blocking them (which I do anyway to prevent heavy handed sharpness or flatness) will speed up the change immensely. I also use a string-winder. I can change strings in under 10 minutes that way and the guitar is ready to go.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE RESPONSES!

I know changing strings every song is definetely going to be a pain in the ass but honestly i dont mind putting the extra time to get a better result.

Thanks again!

Coating or tarnish or anything like that has nothing to do with string degradation in this case. It is metal fatigue. At least according to every string maker I know.

The coating really only helps for guitars that are sitting for long periods where oxidation can occur.

Yes, the coating helps prevent corrosion, which is a long-term issue. But it also keeps the oils of your fingers out of the string windings, which would otherwise affect your tone in a few hours of playing.

If you wanna rock, you must change them every string hit. The most evil bands have done it since 666 Anno Domini
:zombie:

Has any of you actually tried elixir strings for tracking ? I'm seriously thinking of it, because my only guitar in EMG has a floyd, which takes a little time to set up with new strings. And I would like to know if really there is a difference or not i nshort term studio recording.

Unless the project takes a long time, you wont need to change your strings; Just wipe 'em with string cleaner!
http://store.daddario.com/category/152496/String_Cleaner
Wipe the strings at the end of each tracking session and you should be fine.. and tell the guys to wash their fucking hands, because its the #1 reason that strings starts to loose tone; Grease and cockdust sticking to the strings, making them corrode.
So yeah, wash your hands before you play, and wipe with string cleaner when you are done.. the stretching of the strings wont kill the tone as much as people think, its actually all the grit that builds up around the strings.

Has any of you actually tried elixir strings for tracking ? I'm seriously thinking of it, because my only guitar in EMG has a floyd, which takes a little time to set up with new strings. And I would like to know if really there is a difference or not i nshort term studio recording.

No, but i have tried Elixirs, and it sounds like you have coated the strings with foam or something.. no sustain and no treble at all: They sound like old shitty strings from factory, and they stay that way until you change them for good strings.
Also. Elixir used to buy their strings from D'addario and coat them.. now they buy their strings from b-stocks around the world and coat them, so you might get a set made by 2 completely different companies with different winding methods etc.. and those strings had compromised quality BEFORE being dipped in that horrible plastic stuff.

IF you are going to use coated strings, try Cleartone.. its the only coated strings that feels good and doesnt sound like complete shit, still wouldnt use them when tracking though.

No, but i have tried Elixirs, and it sounds like you have coated the strings with foam or something.. no sustain and no treble at all: They sound like old shitty strings from factory, and they stay that way until you change them for good strings.
Also. Elixir used to buy their strings from D'addario and coat them.. now they buy their strings from b-stocks around the world and coat them, so you might get a set made by 2 completely different companies with different winding methods etc.. and those strings had compromised quality BEFORE being dipped in that horrible plastic stuff.

IF you are going to use coated strings, try Cleartone.. its the only coated strings that feels good and doesnt sound like complete shit, still wouldnt use them when tracking though.
If you are right, then I'll stay to my D'Addario beloved strings !

thank you

You got proof of that? Never heard that before. Plenty of people here like Elixirs, so SOMETHING can be said for that.

Anyways, I guess the moral of all this is try out different shit yourselves and find out what you like.