Don't underestimate the power of new strings

I did this once, it sounded VERY strange afterwards. It's a common trick with flatwound strings for violins etc. but it did weird things for me when i tried it on guitar

What kind of stuff did you use?
I just use the cheap Ethanol/Methanol mixture from the ********.

works fine and doesn't negatively impact the tone.
In fact it sounds much funnier when I let the strings corrode of their own accord :)

interesting idea... I may try it. It wouldnt surprise me... surgical spirit will eat pretty much anything organic.

I bought new strings today.
They came on the new guitar I bought today and will stay like that for 6 months :p

When played in, strings hold their tuning better and have a more even tone in my personal opinion.

You wanna know what pisses me off more than old strings?

OLD PICKS!

I cant stand some of the thinner picks when they wear down and lost their tip and have the edge grated down. The thick ones last longer but piss me off just as bad once theyre worn out.

OLD PICKS!

I cant stand some of the thinner picks when they wear down and lost their tip and have the edge grated down. The thick ones last longer but piss me off just as bad once theyre worn out.

+1 :D

I like to use thinner picks, but I had one the other day that i've had for ages now and it started to catch on the fucking plain strings :D

I go between Jim Dunlop 1.14s and some brutal assortment of plectrums that look more like paving slabs. Theyre like 2.00 to 2.50 or something. I prefer the thinner ones for rhythm though.

I LOVE the sound of both guitar and bass with new strings! :D

I LOVE the sound of both guitar and bass with new D'Addario strings, to be more specific. :D

Well that shit is powerful so I doubt youd need to use a lot of it. Just splash a little on a cloth and wipe the strings down with it and then wipe any excess off with a dry tissue.

OLD PICKS!

I LOVE old worn picks :D
They wear to the style of your playing and then when you do decide to get a new one (i.e. you lost the old one in your old jeans) you feel really clumsy because it feels like your arm has grown an extra inch.

I find jazz III's dont wear very easily anywayz though, but i seriously hate moving onto new picks :(

I absolutely hate ernie ball strings. I try to like them, but I can see them rusting the first day I play them.

rusting in the first day?do you playing your guitar at the beachside when your hand full of sweat after playing volleyball in the middle of heavy rain?

rusting in the first day?do you playing your guitar at the beachside when your hand full of sweat after playing volleyball in the middle of heavy rain?

+1 I only use Ernie Ball's, and I don't get any rusting for at least a week, and my hands sweat pretty bad while playing!

Hmm yeah, I guess picks are important too. I feel I want something slightly larger than the Jazz III actually since I find my thumb touching the strings sometimes which creates unwanted pinch harmonics. I do like the feel of the Jazz III though, I just wonder if there is something slightly "longer".

As a side note to what I said about strings in the OP; I tracked a faster song recently and I actually didn't like the new string sound on that song in particular. Weird... some songs want that "played in" sound. I might be able to remedy that a little bit by adjusting the mid boost before the amp sim.