Don't underestimate the power of new strings

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Just like last time I changed my strings, I was yet again blown away by the difference in sound. The guitar has SO much more mids than with old strings <3

I wasn't gonna post any clips but I've recorded the guitars for real now for the song "BilOVE" and here is the verse (also slightly modified it the last second while recording, for the better imo):

Unmixed, unedited, double compressed mp3 :(
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/585020/BilOVE New Guits Real Drums.mp3

Also, the main reason why I created this thread was to simply say that I REALLY understand guys who change strings after each song. I can't show you right now since I don't have the files with me but I recorded the intro with my guitar again AFTER I was done double tracking the whole song and compared it to the very first intro take for the day. Turns out the sound had degraded significantly just through ONE song. I spent a few hours tracking the song (perfectionist asshole that I am) and that was enough to darken the sound significantly. The bad thing is that I only have 1 more set of the same strings I'm using now so I have to track 4-5 more songs before I can change since I have 11 songs to track :( Cba ordering those strings from Thomann again... but I do have a set of Elixir strings but I'm afraid they will sound very different from the ones I have now so I don't know.

+1

If I had the money I'd change strings every week of the year.

There's just such a delicious "BANG" off of brand new, heavy strings.

Edit: While we're here talking about strings, I've recently gone back to Drop-C with Ernie Balls "Not Even Slinky" 12-56 set, and I must say I'm quite fond of them.

I kinda like to play strings in for a few days before I use them for anything but at the same time I hate old shitty sweat-rusted strings.

Ernie Ball Power Slinkys
Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys

Cant beat em :)

Ah sure... I find though that any strings sound like shit after any gig. But if they're straight out the packet and fesh on guitar I find they can sometimes be a tad too zingy for tracking IMHO.

I think the zingyness is exactly what I need because my music is sort of "djenty" here and there and my playing style revolves around that. Fresh strings really bring t3h djentz while old strings do not.

I wonder how well the Nano-coated Elixir strings keep their tone compared to the Pyramid strings I'm using right now. But as I said, I can't change to Elixir in the middle of the recording as that would give me a different sound... it's not even the same gauges, it's slightly different.

Damn, I hope I'll make it through next 4 songs with the current strings, and then change, then track the rest. Also, being a perfectionist asshole cunt doesn't help at all since I sometimes do 50 takes before I'm happy with a part. That makes the strings old quite fast as opposed to nailing it in a few tries. Being a perfectionist doesn't mean it'll automatically be awesome however... I can only do my best and not a damn thing more than that. My best does not equal to let's say Jeff Loomis' best so... haha, obviously :)

I use elixers and they don't have that brand new spank as much as the uncoated. Now they do hold what spank they have longer but it will be different. I use them because they hold up well and my local Gore store seems to be going out of business so they are $7 bucks a set.

Nah, rotosounds make me wanna vomit... its like going from nice strings of steel to tatty bits of rope if I'm ever forced to resort to fitting them to my guitars

I've never had much luck with EB either, I find that they tend to die rather quick.

I've been using DR's Jeff Healey set 10~56 tuned to drop C with good results. I'd tried other sets with 54 or 56 but it seemed the high strings were always crazy tight with the high E being like a 12 or something. I like the tension on the JH set, nice and tight on top for the chugging but the high strings are still plenty bendy. YMMV.

With some brands it's really a matter of days and sometimes hours to hear the degradation in sound. I prefer D'Addario and in some cases Elixir. I love the sound of fresh D'Addarios more, but Elixirs sound more predictable during a period of time and i really dig them on acoustic guitar. Ernie Balls die after a couple of days when i use them. Wierd.

D'addarios are the shit, I buy 15 Packs(for an half year, or so) and get a nice discount on the Thomann price.

Anyone of you ever played Gibson strings? Imo are these the badest strings ever. Instantly removed from the Guitar.
Dunno, I think if you're lucky you stop testing other strings, can't remember the last time I've bought others...