Don't underestimate the power of new strings

My fingertips are like leather and a guy I know who plays ragtime and acoustic blues has got fingertips like steel. I dont think it will make much difference to tone. But it sure seems to make a difference in terms of how you play. Theres no way Nick would be able to play that acoustic blues on his high-action acoustic and my electro with floppy fingertips :lol: technical term.

When I've got soft finger tips, when I'm playing on heavy strings the skin starts getting rough, flaking and shit, then I have to wait a week to build it up again.

I don't get this needing to harden your fingers? I don't notice a difference in tone or get pain or anything????

I don't notice either....

Advice to those that have to wait:
- if you live through the pain a couple times.....you won't have to again.

I'm interested because I'm gonna go C standard tuning. I want it hard but not too much because I need the high strings to keep a good feeling for soloing.

I wanna try elixirs, and I need to know at which gauge the elixir strings start to be wounded. I really want my 3 high strings to be flat.

I have noted that Elixir Heavy is 12-16-24-32-42-52

i'm used in "Dropped C" to D'Addario light top/heavy bottom which are
10-13-17-30-42-52

so something like the elixir Heavy with the biggest string not rounded must be ok for C Standard tuning, right ? Did you try it ?

Heavy's are 12-16-24-32-42-52.....but the 24 is wound. You'd need to buy individuals to get a perfect set. This set is borderline for correct neck tension....as it's just there. Anything less and you get serious tuning problems with jumbo or super jumbo frets.

The Baritone set has a flat 22...but the wound strings are WAY to heavy IMO. (38-52-68)

Perfect set for C Standard and using Elixir's would be:
12-16-22-34-44-54....but they don't make 34, or 44, or 54.....so you'd have to get 36-46-56....so Kindof a piss off!

I haven't found any other coated type string to try.....but hell, if anyone can suggest some I'd sure appreciate it!

Damn you guys... My sweat is so acidic, after 2 weeks even bein the case everyday after playing, we are talking like full on brown rust lol, I buy in bulk though. 10 packs is usually about 60 odd bux woo!!!

Im playing like every hour at the minute and you know what? +1 to whoever said that ernie balls die fast. I am soooooooo switching to another make....... I repenteth from my ball loving.