Stu Block Singing On New Iced Earth Album Dystopia

I don't like to judge vocalists unless I also hear them out of the studio, and that's why I dissed Heather... but only a little! She's fun live, she dresses up and shit, but she's not giving amazing performances. The vocalist from ex-Karnataka and the new Mostly Autumn vocalist are way better. And they're the ones to compare aren't they, being in the same "90s onward pink floyd-influenced folkrockproggish female-fronted british bands" basket. Otherwise, in prog, no-one could hold a light to Annie Haslam. And if you're comparing to every single woman in the world then what the hell, who beats Adele. Purely vocally of course -- no-one could ever dream of being as musically great as Kate Bush.

Tarja was okay... Anette is better. Feels a little irrelevant though since the band is pretty shitty.

Tarja and nightwish in general are a prime example of how not to lead a metal band.

Care to elaborate?

Tarja was okay... Anette is better. Feels a little irrelevant though since the band is pretty shitty.

I also prefer Anette. She has more of a "human" voice (if that makes any sense), as opposed to Tarja's operatic wailing. Tarja was a bit too "proper" for my tastes. As far as their music goes, they do have a lot of weak songs. However, I find that the really strong songs (e.g. Ghost Love Score) make up for them.

I don't like to judge vocalists unless I also hear them out of the studio, and that's why I dissed Heather... but only a little! She's fun live, she dresses up and shit, but she's not giving amazing performances.

I don't know where you are basing this myth that Heather is somehow unable to give "amazing performances" live as I've watched/listened to plenty of their live stuff and can only conclude that the opposite is true. What is this performance if not amazing?

As for the Nightwish discussion. I was never a fan and the switch to Anette certainly didn't make me one. Her voice doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of female vocalists, my girlfriend had me listen to Anneke Van Giersbergen's stuff and I like her. She worked with Anathema, The Gathering and Devin Townsend, but is now releasing her first solo album (I believe) with Road Runner Records in January 2012.

Yeah, Anneke is good. I always thought that Agua De Annique albums (which I haven't really listened to) were basically the same as solo, but I guess not then. The work with The Gathering, Devin and Anathema is great anyway.

Speaking of female vocalists, my girlfriend had me listen to Anneke Van Giersbergen's stuff and I like her. She worked with Anathema, The Gathering and Devin Townsend, but is now releasing her first solo album (I believe) with Road Runner Records in January 2012.

Is she the one with the extremely strange vibrato on the Anathema albums? If so, I liked her original version of "A Natural Disaster", but the re-recording for Hindsight was a step backwards.

Whenever I think of sax being used in metal I always think of this first. It was the first time I had heard such a thing and thought it worked out great.

Is she the one with the extremely strange vibrato on the Anathema albums? If so, I liked her original version of "A Natural Disaster", but the re-recording for Hindsight was a step backwards.

No, that's Lee Douglas. Anneke's contributions I believe are limited to a couple of live appearances with the band and guest vocals Everwake on their latest album.

^Hmm, very interesting. There could have been more vibrato at the beginning.

This guy is like the king of saxophone. It has nothing to do with metal though.

As for female vocalists, I always thought that Carina Englund (Tom Englund of Evergrey's wife) was quite good. She has had a few parts in some of Evergrey's music over the years, and I even heard recently that she supposedly is the one who taught Tom to sing back in the band's early days as he wasn't supposed to be the vocalist of the band originally.

This is probably the biggest part Carina has gotten in the music of Evergrey thus far. It is a bonus track that is an alternate version of a song that she has a small part in; however, in this bonus version she and Tom switch positions and she gets the lead vocal lines. I just feel she has a powerful voice that you don't usually hear in most female voices; thus, I feel it fits well in a more metal soundscape than most female vocals.

As for female vocalists, I always thought that Carina Englund (Tom Englund of Evergrey's wife) was quite good. She has had a few parts in some of Evergrey's music over the years, and I even heard recently that she supposedly is the one who taught Tom to sing back in the band's early days as he wasn't supposed to be the vocalist of the band originally.

This is probably the biggest part Carina has gotten in the music of Evergrey thus far. It is a bonus track that is an alternate version of a song that she has a small part in; however, in this bonus version she and Tom switch positions and she gets the lead vocal lines. I just feel she has a powerful voice that you don't usually hear in most female voices; thus, I feel it fits well in a more metal soundscape than most female vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpRE9O3RTa4

I see exactly what you mean. It's funny, she sings the parts exactly as I would imagine Tom singing them. She nails his style.

I see exactly what you mean. It's funny, she sings the parts exactly as I would imagine Tom singing them. She nails his style.

Haha yeah. I have been a fan of the band for a long time now and I just read the bit about her teaching him to sing in an interview he had some months ago. He said that they originally had another guy singing but it didn't work out for whatever reasons and the other members were like, "its your band maybe you should sing", and he was like "ehhhh...". Anyway, he and Carina were still just dating he said but she was a trained singer and helped show him how to properly do vocals using different breathing methods and whatnot. So I understand how some people don't think his singing is all that technically great as he was never even able to sing well before she showed him some things. I guess since her influence is in his sound, as she taught him, that is why I have always liked the emotion in his vocals even if they aren't as technically amazing as some other vocalists.