Stu Block Singing On New Iced Earth Album Dystopia

Ah, I was not aware that there was a central authority on opinions. Thank you for correcting me Sauna. All music is introspective. Yes. of course.

btw Gentleman, oranges throw away the surface??? not if it's a chocolate orange. 'Tis the season for chocolate oranges.

perhaps an inverse question: why do you feel the need to mount a crusade against my often-sharp-edged honest opinions?

A crusade against you? Are you a Saracen? :lol::lol::lol:
Do you call this a sharp-edged opinion?
I guess this is kind of a single dude living in the basement fan kind of band?

Bloke, I have nothing against you, but it upsets me when somebody like you tries to ridicule, insult other people because of their tastes or opinions. It's not enough for you to express what you think, you go a step beyond and try to stereotype persons based on their preferences. You have the right to state what you think, but one thing is the specific subject in discussion, another one is the person that brought up the subject. Many of my friends listen to music that I consider shit, but I don't disrespect them as people for that.

...You have the right to state what you think, but one thing is the specific subject in discussion, another one is the person that brought up the subject. Many of my friends listen to music that I consider shit, but I don't disrespect them as people for that.

You definitely should.

This one time, I asked a dude what he listens to, and after he'd answered (some sort of non-prog stuff), I told him to get the fuck out of my house. I kept his beer as a reminder to him.

Fast forward a year, and all he listens to is prog. He thanked me for "fixing" him.

Ken is only trying to help the lost.

I don't really consider it one genre.

The range of styles and feelings that I listen to within the prog label is pretty substantial. I'm very open-minded within the prog label (that may sound contradictory, but it's not). I am very accepting of interesting and creative musical ideas; dark/light, heavy/soft; doesn't matter.
I could listen to Opeth and Pain of Salvation back to back and love every second of it.
Sometimes, people are a little confused when I'm like:
"Listen to the beauty of this part!... The notes and timber just tear at your heart!"
The next day:
"Check out this fuckin' groove! The growls over-top are just menacing! :D"

@gent I guess the same people would get a little confused if I told them my daily preference. One day Enya - another day Immortal, one day Marillion - another day Megadeth, one day At the Gates - another day Adele, one day The Beatles - another day Bloodbath. :D

Iced Earth has some over-patriotic stuff, some down right silly stuff, some rockin' stuff and some pretty fucking garbage stuff. They have monster/fictitious themes and historic themes. They sing a lot about loss and revenge and shit, especially in their ballads. But I would not label them an emo band, not by a stretch.

I don't really consider it one genre.

The range of styles and feelings that I listen to within the prog label is pretty substantial. I'm very open-minded within the prog label (that may sound contradictory, but it's not). I am very accepting of interesting and creative musical ideas; dark/light, heavy/soft; doesn't matter.
I could listen to Opeth and Pain of Salvation back to back and love every second of it.
Sometimes, people are a little confused when I'm like:
"Listen to the beauty of this part!... The notes and timber just tear at your heart!"
The next day:
"Check out this fuckin' groove! The growls over-top are just menacing! :D"

"Prog" is a broad term, but not by any strech broad enough for it to be the only thing to listen to. With all the different kinds of great bands and artists in the world, being able to go from Opeth to Pain of Salvation is not nearly enough. That comparison doesn't even represent the full spectrum of what prog can refer to. And there are a lot of bands that go from beautiful to really heavy, that's not really a testament to the variety of a genre.

@gent I guess the same people would get a little confused if I told them my daily preference. One day Enya - another day Immortal, one day Marillion - another day Megadeth, one day At the Gates - another day Adele, one day The Beatles - another day Bloodbath. :D

Not confused here. Approve of all of the above.:headbang:

^I agree.

Yes, progressive music can be considered to include a wide array of music, but that in no way justifies restricting yourself to listening to only stuff that can be labeled as prog. In the end, all genres include a wide range of different styles within: pop, metal, electronic, classical, jazz, progressive are all very vague terms that alone don't (or shouldn't) tell you if you might like it or not.

I find it weird that someone would only listen something labeled as "progressive" as the makers of progressive music surely don't limit themselves that way (not the good one's, anyway). That's the whole point, right? That they can draw from a variety of different stuff they like. For example, A progressive metal band that is influenced only by other progressive metal bands, to me, would be an absolute joke and a mere mockery of the genre.

I find it weird that someone would only listen something labeled as "progressive" as the makers of progressive music surely don't limit themselves that way (not the good one's, anyway).

My thoughts exactly.

Prog is a broad term but music is broader. My ears get sick of listening to drums and guitars every single day. I need other stuff and there's great music practically in every genre depending on what kind of new taste you develop. In classical there are snoozefests, and there are masterpieces that I can't live without. In electronic there is shallow commercial shit, and there is absolutely cool and uplifting stuff that I enjoy as accompaniment to work, work-out, etc. and so on with prog, jazz, film music and the rest. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer go back to just being a fan of one genre.

Also, your remark about prog metal bands influenced solely by prog metal bands ending up with something less than good is right on. There is enough evidence of this in the prog metal scene today.

Yes, considering that at least 50% of the scene is like that. I'm sure some would argue a lot of great bands, so I won't say 80%.
I can't think of a single good prog metal band making music right now if by "prog metal" we mean the Fates Warning/Queensryche/Dream Theater tradition. Other than Fates Warning themselves.

Does anyone have any examples?

Comparing Opeth to PoS to justify a large range in prog was definitely not a good choice, I agree.

Even still, there are so many routes that can be taken within what I'd consider prog, that I don't feel like I'm missing much, if anything.
It's not as if I find out something isn't labeled as prog after the fact, and therefore no longer like it. I just don't like what I don't personally consider prog 90% of the time.
When it comes to pop, it is way so predictable and simple that listening to it offers me zero entertainment.
I enjoy listening to a smooth jazz sax solo, a blues guitar solo, a death-metal groove from hell, a classical piece, techno/electronic, improvisational instrumentals, or even rap-inspired stuff. I enjoy live, studio, or re-workings... songs of any length (including albums that are made up of 1 song). All of these aspects can be found within the prog bands that I listen to, so I do get (though just a small taste) all of these styles in my music listening.

I do see what you guys are saying, though.