Student punished for spaghetti beliefs

Captain Beard

No longer active
Sep 6, 2001
Thursday, March 29, 2007
fsm2_175x125.jpg

The Flying Spaghetti Monster

A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.
But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.
Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.
The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

piratesL060706_175x125.jpg

A man in full pirate regalia

Pastafarianism gained wide attention when its key prophet, Bobby Henderson, wrote to the Kansas School Board during the height of the controversy over 'Intelligent Design' being taught in science classes. His letter, also published on his website, demanded equal time be given to the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as was given to ID and evolutionary theory.
Since then, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has gained countless followers worldwide, although there are those who remain spagnostic.
The school, in North Buncombe, North Carolina, remains adamant that their decision to suspend Killian for a day has nothing to do with his religion, and quite a lot to do with his repeated refusal to heed warnings against wearing pirate outfits.

I hate attention whores. These days everyone's entitled to their own opinion a little too much. Everyone has to be equal, everyone has to prove a point. Fuck that.

Think about this: if this asshole takes this to court for his "right" to worship spaghetti, it's YOU PEOPLE who have to foot the bill. Everything has to be PC and equal, so we must waste millions of taxpayer dollars so this douche can worship spaghetti and dress up like a fucking pirate. If I had to pay taxes so this scumbag can take this to court to argue his case, I would break every bone in his body so at least you people would pay for a real lawsuit. At least then it would be worth it.

I agree with annoying the fundies and tightasses, but make it worthwhile. At least have a lawsuit that affects more people than ONE PERSON.

There should be a lawsuit after this against all future frivolous lawsuits, and the ruling should state that if someone else comes up with a lawsuit as ridiculous as this one, they should be smashed in the face with a sledgehammer no less than 3 times.

I agree with annoying the fundies and tightasses, but make it worthwhile. At least have a lawsuit that affects more people than ONE PERSON.

There should be a lawsuit after this against all future frivolous lawsuits, and the ruling should state that if someone else comes up with a lawsuit as ridiculous as this one, they should be smashed in the face with a sledgehammer no less than 3 times.

If he wasn't fighting for the right to wear a pirate suit to school, I'd cry foul too. But its a PIRATE SUIT! :loco:

Ah, you do have a point, sir.

Pirates are in a whole different class...they deserve special treatment. :lol:

Seriously, I have no problem with the pirate suit. A person should be allowed to wear whatever he/she wants to school as long as it's not disruptive to other students, inflammatory, racist, or degrading. I don't see a pirate suit being anything but funny and (obviously) awesome. It's not like he's going around with a sign saying "I HATE my pals" or "KILL ALL THE JEWS" or something of such nature. However, he faltered when he invented some bogus religion to support his cause, which opens a whole new can of worms that will tie up the court system for ages.

Free speech is one thing, but you're not going to school to practice freedom of speech. You're going to school to learn and to learn about things such as freedom of speech. Teenagers today use school as their platform to spew their bullshit views forth onto others, claiming they have "freedom of speech", yet obviously they slept through American Government because if they paid attention they would realize that freedom of speech is permitted only as long as you aren't trampling on the rights of others, which is exactly what this kid is doing.

American high schools have enough problems with the quality of education as it is...kids need to be smacked these days, that's all there is to it.

fuck yeah. we can lead the swedish division and grab some serious cash and waste it all on buying a paradise island full of booze

:kickass:

and DW, not to revive a dead horse about it, but think of all the tax money that has been wasted on other suits like this that were actually serious about what they were doing, you know, being an actual religion. It'd still be as ridiculous and a waste of time.