Studio Diary Part 6

Glühwürmchen

Ram Tzu knows this...
Feb 10, 2008
Possenhofen (Germany)
STUDIO DIARY PART 6​

V - the sign for victory or visitors?

Vocals... what about them? Well, yeah... they have to be there. Even though I had done much of the vocal parts/ideas already on the demos, I couldn't imagine the extent of what was about to come. Starting out, I was feeling better than I thought, since I had problems with my throat earlier during the recording. It wasn't a cold as I first expected, I have no idea what it was/is, but it has affected me in some ways.

I keep singing, it's what I do, apparently. I think it sounds good, but it feels weird at times (age?). More tracks nailed and listening back, I realize that I've never sung this MUCH on an album before. Not that I'm singing ALL THE TIME (don't worry), but the vocals are much more demanding. I hope it is because the singing is better, and not because my throat is worse. Anyway, I'm kinda confident.

Lights out and let the magic flow.

Audio-Technica 4047.

After a few breaks in the recording to play some festival gigs (Portugal, Germany and the UK) I went back down the rathole to nail the last few songs. My voice was already tired from the studio session, and even more tired from the gigs and I was really worried, but behind the microphone everything fell into place for that one last session. I've done my part... soon it is your part, folks! Because the mixdown is already well under way, we've currently nailed 5 songs out of 12 and we're continuing to nail 1 song per day, so on September 1st, the album is going to be completed. No more rathole, we're free to go. It's hard to believe it's true. It looks like the mini-site is gonna open on September 7th or 11th with the final tracklist, audio snippets and more. /Jonas

The to-do list finally crossed out. Done.

The 5th one on the to-do (KOZELEK) list made me jump through my room like a little child as I'm currently totally addicted to everything Mark Kozelek has released so far :loco:

Nice to know its nearly all done. I had expected the minisite to be up sooner, but at least now i don't have to look for it (and be dissapointed) every day.

Now what to do, while i wait...

Audio-Technica 4047?

hmm. I really liked what a tube did for Jonases voice on Great cold distance.

assumingly it was a different type he used than on previous albums?

would explain why his voice always struck me as "different" on that album, has kind of a cold feel to it, yet almost a warm tone akin to portishead's stuff.

On previous albums Jonas used the classic Neumann (U87)I believe, the AKG solidtube gave that thick tone with a bit of sizzle on TGCD which I preferred (but not to say the previous stuff sounded bad in any way). Audio Technica are a fantastic make used by BBC dj's, and the 4047 are not cheap, not really pricey either but they probably the safest priced decent mic to take down into a nasty hole.

Jonas better not become seriously ill or anything close. Hope he's taking care of his health (meaning getting some exercise and eat somewhat healthy)

I like Mark Kozelek, but for some reason I like Sun Kil Moon better. Red House Painters didn't sound too good at first, but it's also great..(Listen to Katy Song). Damn, so many gems here.
Something like this with Jonas will be brilliant...! This is pretty close to what I was hoping to get to hear from Kata. Not Woven Handish, but more Neil Youngish..all that is great, so something in this vein is just everything I hoped for really. It's gonna be weird though...with the unfurlish songs that probably will appear as well. Very different expressions, but still...it sounds like a great idea. this might be the perfect album for my taste. So much blowing up my expectations..

Probably something in the vein of "omg this song sounds like polish polka" and then they call it polish polka 'til they get a good song title instead of naming it something n00bish :p Interesting how "ZTV" is the possible opener btw. Brootal pop tune! ;)