Studio locations

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
Hey guys im looking into places to house my studio and possibly a place to house bands. What do most of you serious guys have? Im debating on getting a house and letting the bands stay there, but its a huuge risk and i don't know if im ready to do something like that yet. As for a place seperate from my living space, where do i begin to look? A nice building that can house bands and a studio would be cool but i have no clue where to start looking.

You've gotta have barriers imo. I wouldn't want to share a house with a band if they're a bunch of cunts. Go for a seperate studio/accomadation building and have a heavy duty, alarmed door for the studio. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would personally look for a commercial/storefront type building. with apartments above it. if you find something with multiple units you could always rent out the other ones to cover the mortgage. might could find one with a basement too you could rent out for band rehearsal space....so if times get slow there is still the potential money coming in to cover the bills

I would personally look for a commercial/storefront type building. with apartments above it. if you find something with multiple units you could always rent out the other ones to cover the mortgage. might could find one with a basement too you could rent out for band rehearsal space....so if times get slow there is still the potential money coming in to cover the bills

Have you done this? I was considering running a sort of operation like this but being in such close proximity with other people is putting me off slightly - even if the place does have a basement are there still not noise concerns you have to deal with?

Finding a good place for a studio is a pita, REALLY...because you need a place that doesn't hurt neighbours, a place not isolated in the countryside (because someone during the night could go there and enter without a problem)...I mean, it's not like an office or a shop....it's the most complicated place to find..
Moreover, if you find a place to rent, you've to be sure you'll work continuosly, because if you have some "dead" period you have to pay a rent for nothing

Finding a good place for a studio is a pita, REALLY...because you need a place that doesn't hurt neighbours, a place not isolated in the countryside (because someone during the night could go there and enter without a problem)...I mean, it's not like an office or a shop....it's the most complicated place to find..
Moreover, if you find a place to rent, you've to be sure you'll work continuosly, because if you have some "dead" period you have to pay a rent for nothing

These are both options I have considered. Although rent on a living place for myself and one for work would be pricier, it would relieve stress of my personal space not being invaded. I think my first step will be to find a Place for myself to live and can house bands and continue to record at the studio I'm at now. Just until I can figure out what to do about my own studio building.