I'm building a New studio......need tips!

Those wall plates were a bitch for me! I finally found some 24 channel plates made by GLS audio. I bought them from Orange county somethin'. OC sound, I can't remember, but they were like $15 a piece. There shaped in the form of a 2 rack space. They sell the male and female connectors for like a buck fifty a piece. Great fuckin store. I also picked up some 500 foot of Cable, a couple spools, for $80 I think. I'm sure it was Orange County something, sorry I can't remember the name. You have to buy a rivet tool and rivets from Home Depot for $15, but they turn out great. Don't let the salesmen fucks at Sweetwater try to sell you the Pro co bullshit for $50 for 4 channels! Fuck that! I ran a 4" PVC drain pipe under my floors, and to the walls, from my drum, vocal, and cab rooms to my control room. I left the cables loose inside the pipe, in case I have to FIX one. Haven't had a problem yet. Soldering 48 channels at both ends with 3 solder joints on each connector will drive you fuckin insane. I hired my electrician to do it, while I kicked back and drank a case of beer!:puke: Oh yeah, use that sound board, that dude was talkin about. I have double walls on everyhing, even double ceilings! With sound board on one side of each wall. Just glue that to the studs, put a couple screws in. Take em out when the glue dries. caulk all the seams. 5/8" sheetrock! I insulated both walls, and wrapped the back of the walls with clear plastic. You have to wrap the outer wall, before you stand it! Man, it's a lot of extra fuckin effort, but pays off! I ran conduit into the walls, and every outlet has it's own breaker. Oh, no parallel walls! I even made my ceilings angle. Man, I took a shitload of pics, so I have to get them up here. Good luck, man!

Gnash said:
Those wall plates were a bitch for me! I finally found some 24 channel plates made by GLS audio. I bought them from Orange county somethin'. OC sound, I can't remember, but they were like $15 a piece. There shaped in the form of a 2 rack space. They sell the male and female connectors for like a buck fifty a piece. Great fuckin store. I also picked up some 500 foot of Cable, a couple spools, for $80 I think. I'm sure it was Orange County something, sorry I can't remember the name. You have to buy a rivet tool and rivets from Home Depot for $15, but they turn out great. Don't let the salesmen fucks at Sweetwater try to sell you the Pro co bullshit for $50 for 4 channels! Fuck that! I ran a 4" PVC drain pipe under my floors, and to the walls, from my drum, vocal, and cab rooms to my control room. I left the cables loose inside the pipe, in case I have to FIX one. Haven't had a problem yet. Soldering 48 channels at both ends with 3 solder joints on each connector will drive you fuckin insane. I hired my electrician to do it, while I kicked back and drank a case of beer!:puke: Oh yeah, use that sound board, that dude was talkin about. I have double walls on everyhing, even double ceilings! With sound board on one side of each wall. Just glue that to the studs, put a couple screws in. Take em out when the glue dries. caulk all the seams. 5/8" sheetrock! I insulated both walls, and wrapped the back of the walls with clear plastic. You have to wrap the outer wall, before you stand it! Man, it's a lot of extra fuckin effort, but pays off! I ran conduit into the walls, and every outlet has it's own breaker. Oh, no parallel walls! I even made my ceilings angle. Man, I took a shitload of pics, so I have to get them up here. Good luck, man!

yes, yes you do!

Razorjack said:
Oz, your room looks alot like what I've got planned for my new space. What are the dimensions in the room?

Roughly 11X14.... it's about 10 feet wide at the front wall & 12 wide at the back. The side walls are splayed at roughly 6 degrees & are giant hemholtz resonators... hence the little black "stripes." It's my favourite place to mix in :)

Gnash said:
I ran a 4" PVC drain pipe under my floors, and to the walls, from my drum, vocal, and cab rooms to my control room.

ahhh, So PVC pipe for running cables huh?:kickass:

I will have concrete base floors (+drum riser for drums).....so could I run the PVC in the walls for that ??

ApolloSpeed said:
ahhh, So PVC pipe for running cables huh?:kickass:

I will have concrete base floors (+drum riser for drums).....so could I run the PVC in the walls for that ??

I just talked to the builder, I can run PVC in the concrete before it's poured!:headbang: So, 4" is the way to go or what? Any special kind that won't crack or cause vibration or something?

ApolloSpeed said:
I just talked to the builder, I can run PVC in the concrete before it's poured!:headbang: So, 4" is the way to go or what? Any special kind that won't crack or cause vibration or something?

Wow! That sounds cool to me! I had an existing structure, with a concrete floor, or I probably would have done that. I just figured, if I have to replace a wire, the 4'' pipe would have enough room. It's funny. I tied a rope around these bundles of wires, and pulled it through. I left the wires "loose" inside the pipe. I built a subfloor, about 2' high, so there was room for this between the floor joists. For every room, I seperated the floors, and they are floated with these rubber, Auralex u-boats, I picked up from Sweetwater. The rim of the floor rests on these rubber mounts. About 100 of them. Man I'm gonna get these pictures up. I have to figure out how! Oh, another variable I kept in mind, is keeping audio cables away from electrical wires. There may be a conduit, or shielded pipe to run your audio cables. I haven't had any interference problems yet. Knock on wood!:erk: