Studio Monitor Advice - 8020a's or HS80m's

SpewChunks

Apr 25, 2006
Wollongong, Australia
I am currently in the market for my first pair of studio monitors to replace some hi-fi speakers i bought for 20 dollars at an op shop that i'm tired of trying to mix with. I have read/demo'd everything i can in my price range and had narrowed it down to the Yamaha HS80m's.

That was until i saw an ad for some Genelec 8020a's for the same price that i can get the yammies for. Now my question is, which should i go for?

Take in consideration that i have not listened to the genelec's (none available to demo near me), and that i will not be pairing either the yammies or the genelec's with a sub for a very long time if at all once i get them. I'm most concerned about the genelec's freq response starts at 66hz/4inch bass driver whereas the yammies start at 45hz/8inch bass driver, do the genelec's pack enough bass to mix metal/rock?

I'm just not sure because i've only heard positive things about the genelecs.

As always, appreciate the help.

I am currently in the market for my first pair of studio monitors to replace some hi-fi speakers i bought for 20 dollars at an op shop that i'm tired of trying to mix with. I have read/demo'd everything i can in my price range and had narrowed it down to the Yamaha HS80m's.

That was until i saw an ad for some Genelec 8020a's for the same price that i can get the yammies for. Now my question is, which should i go for?

Take in consideration that i have not listened to the genelec's (none available to demo near me), and that i will not be pairing either the yammies or the genelec's with a sub for a very long time if at all once i get them. I'm most concerned about the genelec's freq response starts at 66hz/4inch bass driver whereas the yammies start at 45hz/8inch bass driver, do the genelec's pack enough bass to mix metal/rock?

I'm just not sure because i've only heard positive things about the genelecs.

As always, appreciate the help.

The Genelecs sound great for such small speakers, but IMHO they don't deliver enough low-end to be suitable for mixing this kind of material alone.

I recently visited the Genelec factory and demoed almost their whole range of speakers from the small 8020's to the monstrous, ~30.000€ a piece 1036's in their listening room. The 8020's sounded great, but unfortunately they needed a sub to go with. I believe they used the 7050B. If you can't afford a sub in the near future, I'd go with the Yammies. I've owned my pair for almost a year now, and for the price, I'm really happy.

thank-n you both, i feel no longer torn between the two, i just can't afford to get the sub so the genelecs are out... Yammies all the way.

If the yammies are the shit, then i'll get the shit ones....wait.... the the shit one... the good ones.

With hs50 I've some problem. When everything sounds good in my mixes with them, I try to listen from another setup (pc speakers or car audio) and generally they suck (carton sound). Pretty annoying

HS80ms are brilliant. I am biased, but outside of A7s - I can't think of another set of nearfields that I'd buy.

You just have to accept that at this price point nothing is going to give you audiophile-grade quality. The HS80Ms are great monitors for the price, and IMO the most neutral in the price range. Though I've been hearing that the KRK Rokit Gen 2s are giving them a run for their money. Certainly an improvement over Gen 1.

Just keep in mind when people give you advice what sort of background in monitors they have. If the most expensive monitors they've owned are Adam A7s or Dynaudio BM5as, please take the 'these monitors are the best' comments with a grain of salt. There is a whole WORLD beyond this entry level stuff that makes it hard to even consider the former adequate speakers, much less monitors. If you're happy with that price range, then the HS80Ms likely won't leave you disappointed.

I was hoping you'd chime in Ermz as i know you listened to a great range of monitors, your point is taken.

Mind you i'd still like to go out and grab some asp8s if i had the cash. (Gotta buy a guitar head aswell) But i've ordered the hs80ms and can't wait to get them and let the break in begin.

Yeah, the Yammies are a bit mid-forward, but not overly. With the HS80's, I haven't had a problem translating the mixes to different consumer systems.

We primarily use Genelec 8050's and 8040's with a sub at school, and of course, they're from a completely different planet in every aspect, but in this price range I've yet to find a better pair than the HS80's. The 8020's are excellent with a sub, but considering a 7050 costs something around 700-800e, it also takes the monitors to a bit different price level, too :)