Equator D5's or Yamaha HS80M's?

diegocasmo

May 29, 2012
Hey guys,

So I'll be updating my monitors pretty soon. I used to have a pair of M-Audio AV 40, but I'm now thinking about getting something more professional. So said that, my budget is between 300-500$, and according to what I have read so far, the best options within this price range are either the Equator D5's or the Yamaha HS80M's. I live in an untreated room, but somehow it has very good acoustics (It's all made of wood). It is probably 5m x 3m. Anyways, I'll highly appreciated some advice guys :).

Thanks,
- Diego :devil:.

I have the HS80M's and do want a pair of the D5's, but I would recommend getting the HS80M's first.

Friend of mine has a pair of Adam A7s and a pair of D5s, and he uses the D5s over the Adams in his professional studio.

Went to Collin's College's new studio a few weeks ago and they have an $80k GSSL board with a $10k Equator 5.1 system and their main reference monitors are the D5s. Listened to them and they sound great. Very surprised, especially at the fact that a studio that clearly has a huge budget, would even bother using a $300 pair of monitors. If that doesn't tell you how great they sound, I don't know what will :p

Just bought myself a pair of the Hs80m's. Supposed to be here tomorrow. It came down to these or the D5's and my gut said the Yammies.

I have not experienced the D5's, but the HS80M's seem to translate great for me. Whatever I hear on them, I hear everywhere else when playing back in cars etc... I'm still used to having to compensate for stuff during mixing with my old rokit 5's so it really freaks me out to hear the same thing everywhere.

The D5s have more separation than the Yamahas. There are some parts that seem to leap out more than they did with HS80Ms, IMO. The Yamahas were more thumping and filled the room more though, but they're also much larger.

I would probably end up buying the D5's first, since they are closer to my budget now. But I will definetely buy the Yamaha's some day haha :). Thanks guys for all the advice!

The D5's seem like really great speakers, you can't go wrong either way you go to start with so no worries. I can't wait to get a pair of them to go with my HS80's.