Equator D5 monitor review

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
P1010583.jpg

So after reading a thread on the Reaper forum about how incredible this monitor are I decided to pick up a pair in late November of 2011, replacing my 3 year old Behringer truths. (2030) I had to wait a month as the units were on back-order.

My problem with them was there is no mid clarity, no definition to really distinguish what's going on in such a crucial area.

So then the Equator D5's showed up: A much smaller box then I'd imagine but I had them out and plugged in. From the beginning, smooth high end, incredible mid clarity that I was looking for. Not much low end that you'd expect from a 5.25" woofer. Purely incredible. Another thing is the high end. If I say there's a lot of it, you'd probably think it's harsh. but it's not. Not one bit. They let you view into this world above 12khz beautifully. It's not so bad up there either.

The stereo imaging is the next thing I noticed. For the first time I could really hear the stereo spectrum. Nothing like the Yamaha HS80's or the Krk Rokits 8's I've used in the past as well.

Now I'd expect this from the pair of Adam A5 or 7's I was about to purchase, but these were 299 for the <strong>PAIR</strong>

After sometime breaking them in, they've only become smoother.

They also have a 'boundary' selection on the back for room placement.

Our drummer decided to buy a pair for his home studio after hearing these. He paired it with a JBL sub and it sounds absolutely great.

The D5 Studio Monitors
Our new D5's (Direct 5)*studio monitors are geared for the recording professional*seeking a small (9.75" x 7" x 8.5"), affordable,*accurate, well-voiced, reference studio monitor solution. Focused attention was paid*to the development details to ensure that they*deliver professional sonic performance.*These monitors*feature an expensive*coaxially designed transducer with a 5.25" woofer and a 1" silk*tweeter.* The frequency response is 53hz to 20khz. A new cutting edge digital amplifier with breakthrough performance was designed specifically for the D5.*The internal DSP allows for intricate factory adjustments.​

These use coaxial speakers (yes just like those car speakers that look so awful)

Here's a explanation from the maker

http://www.youtube.com/embed/HWr8QNJ5ZHE

So if you're looking for an awesome set of monitors for your studio or for on-location work (which would be perfect as these are small and Equator offers a carrying case for them), at 299 for the pair, you'd be robbing yourself not to give them a chance. What's to lose with a 60 day money back deal.

Win.

I think so.

P1010560.jpg

http://wormwoodprophecymetal.com/2012/02/equator-d5-monitor-review/

Nice, I really want to buy a set of these things to pair with my HS80s. Can't find a bad review of them, doesn't help :lol:

I bought these not long ago for my small mixing rig and they sound like the big boys! i like them...the only thing about them is that the very highs (14k to 18k) are harsh....but i hope that once the tweeter breaks in, they get smother. But overall i think these are much better than the small krk's and the yamahas for sure.

Hey Tommy, this thread actually gave me the final push I needed to sell my Rokit 5's. Compared to the Rokit 5's would you say these translate the high and low frequencies better? In other words, with the Rokit's i feel like all I really get is the midrange in my face while the low and high ranges are just barely there. Are these monitors a little more truthful? Thanks

^^^ Absolutely. Everything is clearer, fuller (not in a colored way), and truer. I read about 100 reviews on the D5's and ALL of them were gushing about how nice these are. And when I saw they were only $300 i boxed up my Rokkits immediately and took them back to Guitar Center. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty so they refunded everything no prob.

So long story short, yes.

I just got a pair of these on Friday. I'm loving them so far. The mids and highs are very "forward," but so far they have exposed tons of stuff in the midrange that I just wasn't hearing with my Mackie MR8s. I sold the Mackies for $300 and then bought these - no regrets.

I just got my pair. The first thing i noticed is that these monitors are much less hyped in the mids than the Rokit 5 Gen 1's, and as already said high end is very clear but does not come out as harsh. The low end for a 5 inch set of speakers packs a hefty punch, although I still feel that in order to monitor sub-low frequencies accurately I need to use my headphones or get a sub-woofer. All in all, I am very satisfied with the D5's so far and would not hesitate to recommend them to somebody looking for a pair of monitors in this price range.

Wow, $300 for these?

I already have a pair of monitors I love... but for $300, if they're as good as everyone says they are, I might pick these up just to try them. Hell, maybe I'll like them more than my current speakers and with the money I save selling them, I'd be able to pick up a nice sub or something :p

I really wanna give them a test drive, but it's still a $50 loss or so on shipping if I decide to send em back. Only thing I'm worried about is the low end hit I'd be taking by switching them for my HS80m's. And they aren't the prettiest monitor around :p.