Equator D5 monitor review

Got them yesterday. Really liking them after listening for about 6 hours straight. Listened to a bunch of stuff and heard a lot of mid definition I never heard before. Sounded great. Then I started pulling up my mixes and they sounded like absolute crap, need to do a lot of work now. Hopefully it will payoff in the end...

Bumping this since i am very interested in those. Would be ideal for me in a near future.

I read they have a very clear and noticeable burn-in period to pass. I mainly read good things anyway about them, what's your opinion after a few months using them ?

Also, any recommendation of a european re-seller ? I don't wanna pay double price with shipping and taxes

Bumping this since i am very interested in those. Would be ideal for me in a near future.

I read they have a very clear and noticeable burn-in period to pass. I mainly read good things anyway about them, what's your opinion after a few months using them ?

Also, any recommendation of a european re-seller ? I don't wanna pay double price with shipping and taxes

Having had them for a few months now I think they are awesome, especially coming from KRK rokit 5's. I listen to stuff I mixed on the KRK and it is really dark (krk's hype the highs) and I always wondered why I had problems getting my stuff to translate well... now I know.

I'm not sure how long the burn in period took. I listen to music with mine every day and at first they did sound a bit odd but I remember it going away after maybe a week of daily use? I made sure to listen to them a lot before I mixed anything on them.

The stereo imaging is EXCELLENT. It's really easy to hear where everything is in the stereo field.

I would say these monitors are easily worth $500 for those of you dealing with expensive shipping and customs charges. Fo realz

i paid about £350, i think the site was studioxchange.com. the shop was in hertfordshire somewhere.

Loving these monitors, took a fair while for them to break in and also to get used to how different they were to what I was using before. Before they'd broken in I found them quite harsh, especially on more modern mixes but now everything sounds right.

I got myself a pair of D5, and I have one direct question, do you have precise info on what does the "sensitivity" knob ? It sounds like a high pass eQ for high frequencies or something like that ?

I got myself a pair of D5, and I have one direct question, do you have precise info on what does the "sensitivity" knob ? It sounds like a high pass eQ for high frequencies or something like that ?

The sensitivity knob is basically just volume control. has +4 and -10 labeled on it. The "boundary" knob has 3 different settings that does something to the bass, not sure if it is a high pass exactly or what.

I've had these now for about 7 months. Best investment in my audio production I have ever made.

I am in love with mine. They are 10 times better than my old MR5's or the KRK's I have used.

I'm getting a pair of these soon, along with iso pads and cables, website says it'll be about $350 US. Not bad at all.

Make sure you break them in for a few hours, they are not very flattering until you break the speaker in a bit. Also, use the boundary control for what is recommended (there is a thread somewhere on here about it), makes a huge difference on the low end

Ok, cool!

These will be my first real monitors ever. My "mixing area" (if you can even call it that) is pretty bad. But I will be moving within the next few months and have been looking a place with an extra room that can be converted into a mixing room. Figured, I need to at least start somewhere.

Do you need to crank the volume to break in those monitors ? Cause damn, even with bass control quite low, they have decent basses and I don't wanna leave my monitors too loud for hours cause of my neighbours.

@Effigy I actually could, I have HS80m at home, the only thing is that I have never had the chance to put the HS80 in a decent home so the comparison is unfair. But I have a friend who has bought them recently (cause of me) and I maybe could do a comparison. Could not happen before a few months though, he's off in France. Maybe end of december/beginning of january.

So far I find the stereo image way superior to the HS80. About the rest I can't say because the comparison is biased by my current room way better than anywhere I have ever put the HS80 in (I have never been able to put them decently pointing at my ears, stuff like that). All I can say is that for the price you can get them in USA, it's a no brainer to go for the D5. Like, a real no-brainer. I paid them twice more, and still consider it a no brainer. For 300 bucks a pair, it's a joke

Wanna buy new monitors, what to choose - Adam A5 (old, not new X model) or these D5?
Anyone compared them?

Just bumped to post that.. And it seems they raised the price by 100$/pair. Good thing I already got mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a pair of these, and they blow my krk 8s away.

People aren't lying when they say these have tons of mid-range clarity. They're great for mixing.

Thread has been bumped recently, so I hope it's ok to post something in here. ;)

I consider buying the Equators. The alternatives that I have in mind are:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_g2_rokit.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b1031a.htm

However, the D5's seem to be superior to both of these. But they are also about 150 Euros more expensive; are they worth the price?

I have no experience with monitors so I don't have any clue about the quality differences in this price area (especially when the monitors are going to be used at low volume in an acoustically untreated room).

Should I buy the more expensive D5's right away or go with one of the cheaper monitors?

Thread has been bumped recently, so I hope it's ok to post something in here. ;)

I consider buying the Equators. The alternatives that I have in mind are:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_g2_rokit.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b1031a.htm

However, the D5's seem to be superior to both of these. But they are also about 150 Euros more expensive; are they worth the price?

I have no experience with monitors so I don't have any clue about the quality differences in this price area (especially when the monitors are going to be used at low volume in an acoustically untreated room).

Should I buy the more expensive D5's right away or go with one of the cheaper monitors?
I have both, the krk rokit 5's and the equator D5's. The rokits are more suitable for listening than mixing. Equators are just clearer speakers. So currently I use the equators to mix and the rokits are just my laptop speakers.

Can't say anything about the behringers but between krk rokits and equators I'd say the price difference is worth it.