Studio monitor cutting in and out

Oct 4, 2011
Montreal, Canada
So, I've been experiencing this issue with a studio monitor for a while,

Basically, the monitor will sometime cut out, ie: I hear pretty much nothing but if I get super close to it I can hear the signal very very quietly. It will usually stay almost silent like that but sometimes the signal will come back suddenly after a while (could be 5 mins, or 40, it's very random) without me doing anything.

I noticed that unplugging the XLR cable and plugging it with an RCA cable instead works to bring the sound back. Now I have no fucking idea why this works, but it's a crappy fix I've found in the meanwhile. Note that when I do this, the soud doesn't come back as soon as I connect the cable, its usually a few seconds after it's plugged and it happens so suddenly that it often scares the shit out of me.

Anyone knows what's happening and has ideas/solutions for this? Would be great if I could fix it myself, since the authorized center that repairs this brand of monitors is kinda far from my home and it's a bit of a pain to deal with them.

Sounds like if an relay or an elco is broken, and only if peaks go through it it is triggered to work again.
Maybe you can search for if it is a common problem for your monitors. You didnt tell which you use.
You could also have a look if you spot some elcos that are exploded or smell bad.
You should go to somebody that knows that stuff :p

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot to mention it is a focal CMS 50 monitor, it started doing that like 2 months after I got it. Seems that it happened after one incident where I was blasting music maybe excessively loud.

The other one is doing fine though.