Studio Report - Mikael Åkerfeldt (Ayreon)

Rogier1234

New Metal Member
Mar 9, 2003
http://www.arjenlucassen.com/news/news.php?news_id=65

He's one of the singers for the new Ayreon album "The Human Equation", which will feature Devon Graves, Mike Baker, Eric Clayton, Magnus Ekwall, Heather Findlay, James LaBrie, Marcela Bovio, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Devin Townsend, Irene Jansen and Arjen Lucassen.

Some quotes from Arjen Lucassen:

He's he first guy I met (besides Shadow Gallery's Mike Baker) who knows more obscure bands than I do!

- What was the most memorable moment?
Arjen: I asked him to do an improvisation at the end of the album. Now so far the singers gave me a beautiful or impressive melodyline, but Mikael just gave me the most ferocious deathscream I have ever heard!

<<He's he first guy I met (besides Shadow Gallery's Mike Baker) who knows more obscure bands than I do!>>

Fitting quote, since a deep love of prog and psychedelic rock are the only things I pictured Mikael and Arjen having in common...I'm sure he'll do some excellent work for this project, though.

Rogier1234 said:
- What was the most memorable moment?
Arjen: I asked him to do an improvisation at the end of the album. Now so far the singers gave me a beautiful or impressive melodyline, but Mikael just gave me the most ferocious deathscream I have ever heard!
tHATS OUR mIKAEL

I've heard Star One - Space Metal and Ayreon's something something something part 2. I didn't like either one. What would be the album that defines Arjen Lucassen as a musician?

That sounds great...I mean the whole idea of Mike doing a huge growl instead of a high-pitched whine like LaBrie maybe did is just awesome. :)

It's all a matter of taste, I did not like Star One, Into The Electric Castle or Flight Of The Migrator as much as I liked Actual Fantasy or The Dream Sequencer. The thing about all these albums is the great thing about "progressive" music, It is all really different because it progresses. Arjen Anthony Lucassen is a great musician and a visionary. This new album with Akerfeldt and Townsend and LaBrie and all the rest of the fine talented musicians is going to be incredible!!!!!!

- What was something you absolutely didn't expect?

Arjen: That Mikael, who started out as a grunter, could sing so well and so easily. And also that he is, like me, a huge Camel (the band) fan.

:D:D:D