Studio (!) updates

Guitar recording got off to a customary slow start on Thursday when I discovered that the two old set of D'Addarios I'd put on my Universe were producing some nasty resonances. Funnily enough, given all the grief we had recording the drums (including unwanted resonances) I wasn't at all surprised that something should go wrong for me at the start. What was a surprise was that the amp I am borrowing for these sessions was in perfect working order (after a bit of coaxing with some contact spray). Anyway, we managed to make good of a potentially bad situation by recording all the clean and jazzy parts on my beautiful Hamer studio, whilst I let another set of new strings settle on the Ibanez (Ernie Balls - they may be cheap, but they're damn reliable).

The next day I was eager to make up for lost ground and satisfy my metal appetite, and, relieved that the new set of strings weren't making any unwanted sounds, I started off with the distorted guitars for Phantoms. This one has turned out to be a real surprise for me. Even the rough mix (i.e. before the guitars are re-amped) is sounding beyond how I imagined it (this was another one that started life as a MIDI file). With the quad-tracked guitars it's heavy as hell in some places.

Then it was onto Blood. I suspected this would be a hard one to nail as it all depends on the timing being absolutely rock solid, but after a bit of warming up I managed to settle into the groove. What was slightly embarrassing was that we had a guy from Hungarian TV (who has reminded me to inform you that we are recording in Ajka, not Vezprem!) filming me recording this one riff over and over again until it was dead on time (with quad-tracking this is such a pain in the arse - it's not good enough to get it spot on just once). I must have looked like such a retard! Unfortunately he left before the multi-string tapping spectacular that constitutes the mid-section.

Having polished these two off, I was eager to sneak in another one before heading home. The final song of the day was Realm of Dreams. This one is a real heartbreaker and has some really sensitive moments on just a solitary electric guitar. I was trying to put myself in as sombre a mood as possible, but I had to put up with the mild distraction of what can only be described as "atonal Gypsy - free- jazz" kicking off on the stage next door. This strained my patience to put it mildly, but eventually we managed to finish this one off.

I should mention that I've been relying on the generosity of a number of Hungarians who have lent me equipment for the recording. These include Roomy (Without Face) who let me use his RG 7 string as a backup guitar, and Otis (I think that's how you spell his name- I find the Hungarian language unfathomable) who has lent me an acoustic.

Today we re-recorded Dreadful Angel and Born of Ashes. I'm especially chuffed with Dreadful Angel as it's sounding a lot slicker and tighter (even the rough mix is already sounding better than the demo, and that's without any singing, keyboards or bass! I suspect this is partly because we recorded Akos' own kit this time round, which sounds beautiful, so hopefully Brett won't have to use many triggers to augment the sound as he did when we used some beat up old practice kit on the demo). It also features an enhanced solo (pushing the realms of "tastefulness" to the limit perhaps, but hey; that's what the kids love, right?) and a few little extra quirky bits here and there. The jazzy bit is also sounding more jazzy as opposed to just random ambling.

So all's left for me now is to record the two hardest ones - Obscure Oblivion and Parfum, plus the album intro, then it'll be Julie's turn.

Wish me luck!

Tom

On Sunday I tackled the two hardest tracks on the album - Obscure Oblivion and Parfum. As I mentioned before, Obscure Oblivion (or ObOb as we call it, named after the mutant mouse used to establish a genetic basis behind obesity - bit of trivia for ya!) is a kind of mini song with a bit of a tech fest in the middle. It features a funky acid jazz section in 7/4 (with a groovy piano solo by Hugo), followed by some 8 finger tapping before breaking down into some evil grooves in various random time signatures. It also features my most indulgent solo on the record. This one I'd worked out in advance as it's in 7 and goes over 4 key changes (didn't want to waste valuable studio time trying to come up with a suitable solo on the spot). Brett was so sick of hearing me practice it in the run-up, he limited me to 5 takes. Bar a bit of extraneous wah-pedal noise (apparently I'm a very noisy guitarist, which I pretend is crucial to my 'feel'), I think the take we chose is about as good as I could have managed under the circumstances, so I'm fairly satisfied with this one.

Parfum is a funny one. To the ear it's not that technical, and is almost entirely in 4/4, but the riffs don't fit under the fingers easily (another one written on Sibelius). I had a bit of trouble with a Symphony X meets Nevermore style riff in the middle but the rest went relatively smoothly.

So, that left Monday for recording the album intro and making any last minute adjustments/ improvements.

Basically the album intro consists predominantly of a vocal melody by Julie followed by a two minute guitar improvisation over some rousing chords picked out by Hugo (and we're thinking of getting some Citera on it by Akos - this is like a Hungarian pedal steel - sounds suitably ethnic). So once I'd listened through to the chord sequence a few times, Brett put it on loop and went out for a walk whilst I recorded about an hour's worth of solos. I got myself in a bit of a rut with this one. I was trying all kinds of different approaches to come up with something with the necessary emotion, but for ages everything was just sounding cliched, like a poor man's imitation of Steve Vai meets John McLaughlin. Now, I'd never claim I was the most innovative of guitarists, but I'm very conscious of striving to attain my own voice. At first I made the mistake of putting too much widdle in it, so then I toned it down and did a few solos which I sung along to (in order to force me to concentrate on good melodies). But even these solos sounded generic. In the end, I tried to be as outlandish as possible for the buildup, moving gradually away from the tonal centre. I had this one guitar lesson with a fantastic fusion guitarist called Carl Orr once. When I asked him about how to make my improvisations more interesting, he replied with the simple, yet profound statement: "once you've thought of a note, think of a better one". So the solo that will feature on the intro is actually a pretty slow laid back one, but every note on there was what I happened to feel at the time. The die-hard metallers among you will probably find this a very gay solo. Ah well. :)

The next step was to re-record the solo I'd done at the end of Born of Ashes. To be honest, the original solo was pretty half-arsed, but I was too tired to admit it. So Brett got a whip-cracking and made me do about 30 takes before we had one which he was satisfied with. The new one is a lot more squealy and aggressive than the one on the demo.

So, after all the solos, it was time to go back through the tracks to check that I hadn't made any cock-ups that we didn't notice the first time round. There were a couple that we managed to fix fairly easily, but there were also a couple that my fingers were just too tired to do any better than the original takes (my fingers are red-raw today - I tend to dig into the strings very hard when soloing). Not that the original takes were terrible, but when you've spent two weeks ruthlessly scrutinizing every sound that's recorded, you start to notice the tiniest things and in the end hardly anything sounds right. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the resuts, and hopefully all these minor glitches will become insignificant once the songs are built up around the guitar parts (and it's about the songs as a whole after all).

I think I've learnt a lot from this experience. I've had to do a lot of analysis of my playing and have come across numerous shortcomings in my technique. Probably by the time this album comes out I'll be wincing at everything I play! Lol! But what you'll hear will be the best I could manage at the time. Brett's pushed me very hard and I'm grateful for that.

Now, it's over to Julie to bring her magic to the music. I can't wait to hear the results. Believe me, some of the vocal melodies on these songs send shivers down my spine!

In the meantime, I'm going to try to lose my studio tan.

Cheers,

Tom

It seems that every update makes the album sound better and better. Tom's a pretty modest fella considering his guitar skills :)

On an aside, thanks for all these updates! It's a welcome departure from other bands' practises where you get a vague update every month or so if you're lucky.

Julie and I just arrived in London. Tomorrow Lee will have the heavy duty to record his bass parts (believe it or not, but he claims to know them, haha). It will probably be spread over two days with the keyboards starting just after that. Stay tuned !

allyourbassarebelongtous2ta.png

Sepsis said:

haha. Poor Marko... :)

Anyway, the bass is pretty much done, as are the keys. Brett is at the Download festival this weekend where he'll be doing the live sound for Zebrahead and Sick of it All. He's back on Tuesday and then I'll be doing literally the last bit of the album, the opening riff to "Blood" that is, quite frankly, a proper bastard to play.

Then it'll be off to France for a mix. All going well we'll have it all wrapped up by the end of the month (or so).

Hello!

After recording the guitars and a couple of days break for Brett, we started with the vocals. We spent the first day setting up and selecting the right microphone and then I choose "Realm of Dreams", our mainly acoustic epic, to start with. It is a quite demanding song in that it goes pretty deep and quite high in places and as it is mostly acoustic it has to be extra perfect. I thought we may as well do it while I am still fresh and energetic.

We finished most of the song by the afternoon and I was really happy with the final result, so next morning we started "Phantoms", which I anticipated as one of the easy ones - only it wasn't that easy actually...and it wasn't until 8 in the evening that we finished everything. Still, we ended up with a catchy-creepy sounding chorus (actually 2 of them, as we never quite came to an agreement with Tom about which bit the chorus should be, so we decided that the song will just have 2 choruses and that's that) and a very beautiful and weird sounding acoustic passage with a piano-vocals only bit inbetween - it is probably one of my favourite bits - I just love to sing it! :)

Next day we did "Obscure Oblivion", or "the sandwich song" as Tom called it :). That is a very special song with an acoustic beginning and ending that nearly reduced me to tears when I first heard Tom play it. This song has actually been around nearly as long as the 2 demo songs but for some reason we always found something we wanted to change - it's was worth it though. After the acoustic bit the song kicks in with just the vocals starting the chorus and the rest of the instruments following on the next beat.

At the weekend Tom and Brett went to Vienna to see the sights, so I had some to time to rest my vocal chords and chill out and cool down... Literally, as the weather turned very miserable indeed and we never saw the sun again while we were in Hungary. I would have switched the heating on in my flat (it was snowing in nearby Austra) if that would have been possible...but it wasn't as the boiler was broken. So, the next days were really chilly and as the recording room wasn't too hot either I managed to catch a cold. :(

Anyway thanks to the help of lots of Vitamin C, Ca, Homeovox, Homeo...whatever..., Neocitran, several different types of throat candy things and some nasal spray I managed to stay on top of the game. Well, mostly anyway! As the kind people of the Lokomotiv would tell you, who, during the recording of a really nasty high bit one afternoon, turned up with some tea, lemon juice and honey just in case I needed it...hmm... :)

Cold or no cold, the next Monday the recording had to proceed. We started "Parfum", my favourite song on the album, not just because I sing all the way through it ( ;) ) but because it is the most abstract creation on the album - a song where you just never know what comes next (e.g. jungle drums...). To my surprise we finished it really quickly. I am specially proud of the "hardest one to sing on the album" chorus that I also sang an octave lower for extra impact and so it sounds pretty big now. I really can't wait to hear the final mix of this song as it is full of little surprises.

The rest of the afternoon however didn't go so well. I left half a verse of "Realm of Dreams" for later and as we still had quite some time left we decided we would finish that. And that's when the disaster occured. The original recordings of the vocals for the song were nowhere to be found due to some problems with the recording program! :( I suppose something had to go wrong sooner or later, just like with the other instruments, but I was extremely disappointed. We basically had to do an extra day of vocal recording with my cold getting more and more annoying. I was really proud of the first recording and was specifically happy with that song...Anyway...I was too upset to do anything else that day so we just went home and after a good night's sleep we recorded Realm of Dreams again. It went faster than last time and the result is a lovely song but it has a bit of a bittersweet taste for me now.

Wednesday there was a Guns 'n Roses concert in Budapest that Brett had to attend, so I had some time to clear my head and have a good sleep. Thankfully it really helped my cold too, so next day's recording of the eastern-sounding "Blood" went quite smoothly. This song has the catchiest chorus out of all the To-Mera songs so this one will probably end up as the song for the video. I also sing a verse in Hungarian for extra weirdness :).

On the last two days we recorded "Dreadful Angel" and "Born of Ashes" - the two songs on the demo. I think both of them, but specially Dreadful Angel, have improved a lot and they are going to sound much much better than on the demo. We also recorded my part for the intro (that we named "Traces") - singing a Hungarian folk melody that then fades into the citera bit played by Akos, and the whispery bits for the beginning of Parfum. With that I was finally done!

After cleaning up the recording room (approx 100 empty Fanta bottles by Brett and nearly as many empty medicine boxes and water bottles from me), next morning we left to the airport in Budapest. We were back in London by the evening!

Hopefully Lee and Hugo can write about their recording parts too, as they did their bits when we got back to London.

Thanks for reading :)

Julie x

Thanks again for these extensive updates!

Btw, the interview is really nice and complete as well. I'm sure this album will even surpass my (already huge) expectations :headbang: