To-Mera recording

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
Since Brett is a regular here you might be keen to see how he's getting on with the To-Mera album. Here's the first update, and future ones will be posted at our own forum (a few up from this one in the list :))

Hi guys,

This is Tom checking in from Hungary. Here's the story so far:

On Monday, Brett (our producer), Julie and I were introduced to what would be our "studio"-space over the next few weeks where we will be recording the drums, guitars and vocals. Owing to us being on the cheap side, we managed to get Akos to wangle a deal with some friends of his who own a bar to let us use a spare room to record in for free. As far as such rooms go, it's not too bad: a reasonable size, decent enough acoustics, a working electricity supply (well you can never tell), etc. I don't know how these people expect allowing a metal band to record nextdoor to their bar to affect their business, but they haven't complained so far.

Anyway, day one was spent tuning the drums, setting up the mics and basically soundchecking (whilst I fell asleep in a chair in the corner, as Brett's photo gallery will no doubt testify!).

Tuesday - day 2: After more faffing about with mic placements (I guess having such a pernickety producer will bear fruit in the long-run), we started recording the drum parts to "Parfum" in the afternoon. This is a song based on the book "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind. This one is kind of a mini-musical adventure, with many different themes. I think of it as our "musical theatre" piece - Hugo and I wrote the music to be as impressionistic as possible to compliment Julie's lyrics. Probably not the easiest song to start off with though - there are about 10 different tempo changes.

Wednesday - day 3 (today in fact): This morning we made some fine adjustments to Parfum and completed the end section - a tribal affair with menacing multi-layered jungle drums accompanied by trippy sus chord swells on the guitar leading into a Cannibal Corpse-esque ending courtesy of Mr. Barrett. However, our progress was suddenly thwarted by the appearance of rattling in the two floor toms (Akos had been going at it so hard that he'd wrecked the skins). We therefore abandoned recording this afternoon to find some replacement skins. I've been let out into the daylight whilst Brett and Akos set about the task of replacing the skins, retuning and soundchecking. There will be no more recording today, but we hope to get an early start tomorrow. This hiatus so early on is frustrating, but if it means we get a better sound in the long-run then I guess it's worth it.

Wish us luck!

Stay tuned,

Tom and To-mera

whoelsebutquagmire.gif

"Al-right"

Yay, got arrested by the Hungarian police tonight, now THIS IS WOCK N' WOLL :headbang: !!! I tried to ask them (hard to communicate when people don't speak the same language) to put me into a cell to protect me from Julie's anger but they actually had nothing solid enough... (even kryptonite couldn't calm her down...) :zombie: