Studio Workstation?!

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
I'm really at the end of my tether now guys,

There was some chap on eBay by the name of Woodworx

Who sold the desk I initially wanted I went to buy it yesterday and he'd closed down his eBay shop :/

Long story short I need a desk with backspace with monitor raisers without a CEnter piece as I have an iMac i7 27 inch and if that was raised higher I'm sure I'd have neck strain, the Only thing I've seen is the rta creation station but is there a way of moving the middle piece?!

Most people seem to just completely remove the riser off those creation station but then your left with just an ordinary desk.. I was going to go that route myself. My advise for you would be, if your handy with tools and a tape measure, get a plain old computer desk and mod it to suit your needs. That's what i did and i got exactly what i wanted and at the comfortable position i wanted. Its not hard to do, there's a pretty large tolerance between rack rails so its hard to fuck that up, it'll be 10 times cheaper too.

Most people seem to just completely remove the riser off those creation station but then your left with just an ordinary desk.. I was going to go that route myself. My advise for you would be, if your handy with tools and a tape measure, get a plain old computer desk and mod it to suit your needs. That's what i did and i got exactly what i wanted and at the comfortable position i wanted. Its not hard to do, there's a pretty large tolerance between rack rails so its hard to fuck that up, it'll be 10 times cheaper too.

unfortunately woodwork is something ive never really tried so id rather have something i can just buy and go with you know what i mean ?
:/

1212348932002.jpg.[roflposters.com].myspace.jpg

You should just get a smaller desk, not too wide, to hold the iMac etc. Then get yourself some stands for your Ref. Monitors, and stationary racks for outboard gear.

ive got stands for the monitors actually however id have preffered it if they were integrated but i suppose it really isnt an issue,

i would much prefer my rack gear to be integrated however, i mean i am leaning toward the creation station but i think my imac would be far too high.

so confuselll haha

The height of the iMac really depends on how far away from it you're sitting. The center of the screen on my iMac is right at eye-level, but it's also about 3 feet from my head, so it's comfortable. The creation station would put your screen about 6 inches higher than mine, and 3 feet still feels like a comfortable distance there... for me anyway. If you can attach a keyboard tray to sit you back a little further, I think that would be a big plus. But, the Creation Station could totally work.

If the Creation Station puts the iMac 27" stand above 38.25" then I dunno, that's how tall my desk+rack is that my 27" is sitting on and if it were any higher I probably would have neck pains. But at 38.25" it's pretty tolerable, don't really have any pains or anything.

If that works for you, then great. However, if money is at all an issue, the DIY route really isn't that hard and, obviously, can be MUCH less expensive. I built my desk out of an old coffee table and some shelving. Cost? $20. My monitor is sitting behind the desk on an old stool (which is a bit lower than the desk so I don't run into neck issues). Acoustically speaking, the smaller your desk is, the better. Not the most professional looking setup ever, but it leaves more money for gear and acoustic treatment!

Here's a pic:

IMG_1066.jpg

I'm using a 32" HD LCD TV as my main monitor (Screen) and my laptop as my mixer control in my DAW on my Creation Station (The one with the rack built in). And it's pretty comfortable. Mind you, I have a broken vertebrae in my neck too (football). So I can't really see how people would think it would be too high for a 27". But I am pretty tall and have a long neck, so...

If that works for you, then great. However, if money is at all an issue, the DIY route really isn't that hard and, obviously, can be MUCH less expensive. I built my desk out of an old coffee table and some shelving. Cost? $20. My monitor is sitting behind the desk on an old stool (which is a bit lower than the desk so I don't run into neck issues). Acoustically speaking, the smaller your desk is, the better. Not the most professional looking setup ever, but it leaves more money for gear and acoustic treatment!

Here's a pic:

IMG_1066.jpg

That's the spirit. Its seriously not complicated with all the material readily available today. I used to be a real carpenter (lol), also been a machinist, i know how to build fancy furniture with tenons and dovetails and all that but its all pointless unless you want to invest allot of money into a quality piece of furniture. Today, practically all furniture is overpriced for what they give you. DIY is definitely the best route if your not willing to invest allot of money.Just get a good sized 1" thick wood plank, 4 4x4s, paint them black, get a pack of screws and you got yourself a desk lol. Rack rails are cheap and you can get your wood pre-cut to dimension at most hardware stores that sells wood.

I say this because i too went through the search of the "perfect and affordable" desk, i gave up and figured my money would be best invested on more important gear than a piece of furniture, one that has no impact on the quality of my mixes anyways. When money starts flowing so much that i can afford it, then i'll get me something fancy.