Help me pick a desk/layout...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I need to pick up a desk next Tuesday to replace the desk I have now (looking to get something a bit more "pro" looking going on) but I'm a bit hung up on options. Here's what I've got going now...

traps1.jpg

I've got a dedicated PC now so that laptop isn't going to be in the way which is the only reason I elevated the LCD on top of my rack so I could use both screens. I'll be sticking with just the LCD for now until I buy a second one to set up side by side. Also, the monitors will be getting stands, don't worry about that! :lol:

Initially I wanted to grab this Studio RTA Creation Station (like James' pictured) and was going to drive to Buffalo to pick it up since I can't get them in Canada...

TempRoom.jpg

Would be super convenient for my rack gear and looks like a pretty nice unit, plus it has the benefit of being dirt cheap ($200)... However, that top shelf is like 37.5 inches high and I would really prefer to be looking DOWN at my LCD with it tilted towards me rather than straining to look up at it all day :erk: I really hate where my LCD is height wise right now and with this desk I suspect it's going to be more of the same...I know Dave Otero has the producer station which as the same LCD shelf height and HATES how much it strains his neck after looking up at it 12 hours a day...

The other option is to try and find something simple like what Aaron's got...
studio1ff5.jpg

The extra desk space would be awesome for Pod's, notes, DI boxes and other junk but I'd like to maintain easy access to my rack interface/preamps and can't justify buying a separate rack on wheels or anything like Aaron's got as I simply will never have that much rack gear. I'd really like to keep the unsightly Gator roadcase I have now off of the desk too, I'd rather integrate my rack pieces into my desk setup in some way, perhaps like Will has here under the desk...
new-studio.jpg

Something like that I wouldn't mind leaving half empty anyways, just not sure where to find one that is completely over the top expensive :erk:

I also want to get some sort of chest of drawers or table or something to keep my amps on and store some other stuff in, but I think I can conjure something up at Ikea for that...

Blah, opinions/advice anyone?

I've been having the same dilemma for months now, except with the added benefit of Oz not having ANYTHING remotely useful for the purpose on the retail market. Custom cabinet maker jobs are the only way to get it done here.

But anyway, I would avoid the desk in the 2nd picture because it puts your monitor at the same height as your speakers. You want to keep that plane as free as humanly possible, unless you have your speakers in front or at the same distance away from you as your monitor. Most monitors I've used only start to shine when placed back at a distance that's commonly behind the computer monitor. You don't want to start messing with your stereo image by introducing one of those blocky things into your monitoring triangle. Also, my neck starts to cramp ridiculously when the computer monitor is kept that high. It can cause some serious discomfort.

The last set-up seems great to me. Those wrap-around desks are great because they put everything you need to work within reach. You don't have to bend over and lose your monitoring position when tweaking the outboard, or mess around too much to grab things. Plus they give you the space you need to mount your monitors on stands and not have anything get in the way. The screen is kept nice and low, out of the way of the tweeters and you have the added benefit of the set-up feeling like a command center.

FWIW if in Oz these things actually cost $2k and not $5k I would snap one up in a heartbeat:

argosy_studiofurniture_workstation_AURA260N.png

i've got the smaller verson of that studio RTA setup, the monitor height is a little awkward, but it's not too horrible...of course it helps that i'm kind of a tall guy, and have a chair that lifts up kinda high as well

it's fine for mixing/recording anyhow...i wouldn't wanna spend hours doing graphic design work, or retouching photos tho

Bah I can't find a good plain corner desk anywhere, I'm just gonna tough it out with the Creation Station, it can't be that bad if James is alright with using one? I don't think the area where my desk is can comfortable fit a bigger desk really either :/ Ah well!

Nice dude! I have back pedaled a bit and found a corner desk... Gonna grab one of these 2 from Sears and just not use the top sections...
41OCSi9mNkL._SS500_.jpg

41fUQ9ZqQsL._SS500_.jpg

Then gonna snag one of these from Ikea to stack my amps on as well as hold my mics on the shelves and throw one of the racks DSS3 mentioned on it to hold my outboard...
59494_PE165389_S4.jpg

Should work out alright and saves me the drive to Buffalo! :lol:

DO NOT GET THE RTA DESK.

I've got the mixing station, and the monitor height absolutely kills your neck. Not comfortable unless you're really tall. Of course, you can remove the racks, but then it's just a normal desk. And not a well built one. Mine has all kinds of finishing problems. Bent metal parts, the rack rails don't align correctly, demolished corners in the woods etc.

DO NOT GET THE RTA DESK.

I've got the mixing station, and the monitor height absolutely kills your neck. Not comfortable unless you're really tall. Of course, you can remove the racks, but then it's just a normal desk. And not a well built one. Mine has all kinds of finishing problems. Bent metal parts, the rack rails don't align correctly, demolished corners in the woods etc.

Thanks for this, definitely steered me off that stuff for good! I've got it all sorted now I think, can't wait to post pics next week! :kickass: