Stupid newb firewire question...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I got my Saffire Pro yesterday and the supplied firewire cable is 6-pin on both sides, while the firewire port on my laptop is the smaller 4-pin (I believe?) style... Will a simple 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable work fine or is the 4-pin a totally different format? I know you can buy those cables, but I'm just worried that the Saffire Pro won't function since it's sending data across 6 pins and my laptop would only be receiving on 4...

Is my logic totally wrong or will the Saffire Pro not function properly or at all with my setup...?

Yeah, as I understand it, the only disadvantage to having a 4-pin connector is that it can't bus-power certain FW devices - beyond that, you're set (as am I, cuz that's what my laptop has!)

I have the same on my laptop; works like a charm with my firepod!

I do believe that the extra pins are specifically used to bus-power equipment, I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere. The Saffire Pro does have the option to be bus-powered, but who seriously does that on an interface when it *comes* with a nice adapter?

~e.a

I do believe that the extra pins are specifically used to bus-power equipment, I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere. The Saffire Pro does have the option to be bus-powered, but who seriously does that on an interface when it *comes* with a nice adapter?

~e.a

only an ignorant person because the quality of the power coming from an power supply unit is far superior to a firewire/USB bus.

The only reason I would consider bus-power was to laptop users and outdoors recording, yet laptops only have 4 pin firewire (so, no bus power)...

Go figure!