Stupid people

Bates

Swamp Yankee
Dec 12, 2006
Tualatin, OR
www.darkgleam.net
Alright, so I picked up the double CD version of With Oden On Our Side today, and, well, whoever uploaded the track titles to CDDB is a frigging idiot.

• With Odin On Our Side Disk 1
  • Valdall Awaits One
  • With Open On Our Side
  • Prediction of Warefare

OK, so the first one might just be me being a picky fuck. But, for fuck's sake, it's written right on the fucking CD!

... Alright, so today was just a shit day at work, and this was one thing too many that bugged me. I don't even know why it pissed me off so much. But, fuck, literacy, it's a wonderful thing.

And, yeah, I am kinda new when it comes to AA, so forgive me for not getting it earlier. 'Under the Northern Star' is insanely awesome.

And then I realize I typoed the titles when I renamed them. Oh well, never claimed I wasn't an idiot myself. Still, it seemed like a good excuse to blow off some aggravation. :)

Yeah, that shit happens (anyone with some Taake albums or anything even remotely considered rare would know this from....experience :erk:)

Yeah, it was just one aggravation too many this afternoon. I really need to move somewhere, and not leave my wife's grandparents the address. Our house has been drenched in an explosion of Christmas shit.

Mmm, yeah, we used to deal with that too in our house. We now seem to have managed to get past that stuff, mainly by presenting a united front and using the same exact replies every time the same damn time every year. "No, we cannot attend the Christmas celebration at your house on that particular day, since that is the day we've done our private family celebration at home for the last 15 years" and "No we do not go to church" and so on and so forth. For us it was mostly an issue of six different households getting all upset that we were not celebrating Christmas at their house, and then if we for some reason did, they'd try to convert us. They still try to convert us, so we're down to two places to go to, and they are the ones we don't mind going to.

Mmm, yeah, we used to deal with that too in our house. We now seem to have managed to get past that stuff, mainly by presenting a united front and using the same exact replies every time the same damn time every year. "No, we cannot attend the Christmas celebration at your house on that particular day, since that is the day we've done our private family celebration at home for the last 15 years" and "No we do not go to church" and so on and so forth. For us it was mostly an issue of six different households getting all upset that we were not celebrating Christmas at their house, and then if we for some reason did, they'd try to convert us. They still try to convert us, so we're down to two places to go to, and they are the ones we don't mind going to.
Christians have changed surprisingly little the last 1000 years it seems.

really?? just a question, from what i have read from Tyra an other people that i believe live on the north america area, seems that lots of your relatives carry on strongly with the: going to church, follow the commandments..and so on, I , however, do not know if the mayority are protestants, catholics or what... but the main question is: is people there follow their religion in a strict/strong way?even young people?

really?? just a question, from what i have read from Tyra an other people that i believe live on the north america area, seems that lots of your relatives carry on strongly with the: going to church, follow the commandments..and so on, I , however, do not know if the mayority are protestants, catholics or what... but the main question is: is people there follow their religion in a strict/strong way?even young people?

Yeah, there's no lack of bible thumpers in the US. I've been all over the eastern half of the country, and well, non-Christians are fairly rare in a lot of places, especially the non-urban ones. Remember, North American was not settled by Europeans until long after all of Europe had been converted. I know I've read that in Europe, many of the heathen traditions survived as 'use and custom', and many were merely glossed over with a Christian aspect. In North America, it's almost the reverse. The holidays and suchlike of Christianity have become the matters of 'use and custom'. Even my wife and I, being pretty atheistic, celebrate 'Christmas', just because, to us, that's what the holiday is called. Admittedly, we celebrate it as a secular holiday, but we still call it by the Christian name.

As for the Protestant and Catholic question, I believe that Protestants are the majority, but Catholicism is strong in some regions. A lot of these things do vary by region. In some areas, the Christians are more accepting of other faiths, and in others, well, they'd still like to convert by the fire and sword, were they able. Atheists are also a sizeable minority in many areas. Pagans and/or heathens are a bit more rare then that.

And, as I said, it varies greatly by region. I knew people of nearly every faith and tradition, when I lived in New England, being that it's a historically (Err, if you ignore the first 100 years of Puritan rule) liberal area. Out where I am now, well, they call it the Bible Belt for a reason. I don't think I've even found one person who will admit to atheism, except myself. Most of the people I know fall under the 'nominally Christian' label, e.g. "I believe in God, but I don't really go to church or anything.", but there are quite a few I know who are appalled by the fact I don't believe in their god.

@Tyra: Hehe, my aggravation isn't from anyone trying to convert me. The last time any of my family tried, well, I left them doubting their own faith. It's more the fact that, well, we're rather simple and poor folks. If you saw the fucking mountain of boxes that have now buried my living room (and 90% of it is crap my kids will break/lose in a week), you'd understand my aggravation. Especially when I am hard pressed to get my kids much of anything. Too much pride, I guess, lol.

Yes, but in true Christian fashion, most of them (in this particular town) say they do, and they show up for church and stuff, but then break the 10 commandments left, right and centre.

Speaking of Christmas, this is definatley the best part of it, if you're american:

Videofeber: Överdimensionerad julbelysning x 2

And tell me, what's the deal with Americans obsession with making sure that there will not be a single branch of the christmas trees visible because of all th decoration? What is that all about?

The same reason why they have to have the tallest buildings, biggest cars, biggest burgers and so on. Some theories:
The Freudian one: As a culture, because of their historic past, they need a larger penis extension than most other cultures.
The American one: If you've got it, flaunt it.
The Christian one: Look at us, we're so religious! We put up so many lights that the whole neighbourhood suffer a power surge when our lights go on - we must be able to get a spot in heaven now, right??
The cultural one: It's not a "lagom är bäst" sort of culture, it's a flashy one, a new culture that hasn't quite matured yet (don't mean that in a mean way, so offense intended). All kids like bright shiny things, and so do newer cultures. Older cultures become understated and, some Americans would say, stuffy.

The cultural one: It's not a "lagom är bäst" sort of culture, it's a flashy one, a new culture that hasn't quite matured yet (don't mean that in a mean way, so offense intended). All kids like bright shiny things, and so do newer cultures. Older cultures become understated and, some Americans would say, stuffy.

That sounds about right to me... (That means something like 'moderate is best', right?)

That sounds about right to me... (That means something like 'moderate is best', right?)
Actually, that word, lagom, does not exist in any other language than Swedish. It basically means "just right". Something not too hot and not too cold is lagom, jeans that are not too big but not too small are lagom. A person that fits in is also lagom. It's different from moderation, but in this context, it works. Just like Pagan said, shame on you if you try to be anything other than lagom. Not too smart, not too stupid, not too rich not too poor. It's all in the Havamal, where it says to be middle wise and so on. We've inherited that trait from our Norse ancestors.

I'll never forget my first Yule in my first own pad. I had a tiny backelorsuite, the size of my current bathroom, roughly. My now father-in-law owns a couple of stores, and every year after Christmas, his stupid careless staff just throw out all the Christmas decor. My boyfriend (now my husband) and I had just met, so I had no reason to worry about leaving him in an undecorated, tiny apartment. I learned that year, though. I came home, and he'd taken all the previous years' Christmas decorations and decorated my place. There were for sure over 12 strands of indoor lights, and probaly about eight outdoor ones, not to mention the blow-up santas and glittering store-size snowflakes. Oy! I still loved him, though...

Pagan, from Tjuvlyssnat.se:
(Tjej ~18 står i kön till McDonalds för att beställa. Kille ~20 tar emot beställningen.)
Tjejen: Hej jag ska ha en Big Mac & co med Cola light och en garlic dick!
Kille: Ursäkta?
Tjej (överartikulerar): Big Mac & co med garlic dick!
Killen (iskallt): Jag är ledsen, vi har inga vitlökssnoppar inne.
Tjejen (väldigt röd i ansiktet): DIPP! JAG MENAR DIPP!

sorry, I haven't read the whole topic, hardly ever do as they're a bit too long for my liking, however the little that I did I notice something about chirstmas lights which brings me to me proudly saying that my house is the only house on the street with NO lights ;)

oh, that's some good beer, ho ho ho ;)

Actually, that word, lagom, does not exist in any other language than Swedish. It basically means "just right". Something not too hot and not too cold is lagom, jeans that are not too big but not too small are lagom. A person that fits in is also lagom. It's different from moderation, but in this context, it works. Just like Pagan said, shame on you if you try to be anything other than lagom. Not too smart, not too stupid, not too rich not too poor. It's all in the Havamal, where it says to be middle wise and so on. We've inherited that trait from our Norse ancestors.

I'll never forget my first Yule in my first own pad. I had a tiny backelorsuite, the size of my current bathroom, roughly. My now father-in-law owns a couple of stores, and every year after Christmas, his stupid careless staff just throw out all the Christmas decor. My boyfriend (now my husband) and I had just met, so I had no reason to worry about leaving him in an undecorated, tiny apartment. I learned that year, though. I came home, and he'd taken all the previous years' Christmas decorations and decorated my place. There were for sure over 12 strands of indoor lights, and probaly about eight outdoor ones, not to mention the blow-up santas and glittering store-size snowflakes. Oy! I still loved him, though...

(Tjej ~18 står i kön till McDonalds för att beställa. Kille ~20 tar emot beställningen.)

i could actually understand about 70% of this.. i guess its funnier when i understand the bigger words like vitloksnapinogwat

:erk: No hablo sueco, en ingles, por favor.

I have no lights inside or out. :)