stutter vocal/guitar effect

brownbeartle

Apr 21, 2011
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i thought this would be a great place to ask this.

If you listen to blind witness's first song they have the stutter effect
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/blindwitness101?sk=app_178091127385

and also this is on the acacia's strains new album (Ramirez for example)

I've been using a tremolo, but with little effect. And also side-chaining a gate from a midi note, or snare, but with little effect too.

How do you guys go about using this?

I swear I see a "glitch thread" pop up once a week. haha

I prefer to have as much control as possible over these types of production addons. So, like most of the guys here (i assume..) I do it manually. Of course there are the plugs suggested. Just cut sections on the grid. say, every other 16th triplet or 32nd note. a lot of times i don't get the results i want by just cutting exactly what sequence of audio was recorded. you just have to play with it. for example, typically, i'll take the first full 16th note of the phrase i'm gunna make stutter and copy that for a couple beats (on every other 16th, so there's the gap). from there, you can pretty much do anything rhythmicly to compliment the music. Also, experiment with what exactly your adding this effect to. guitars and vocals together, just guitars, everything, whatever.