Sub kick

Klosure

Nov 26, 2009
Im trying to get my mixes to have more weight. Listeing to Katatonia seems like there is a lot of sub kick.

Im using Superior am I right in thinking getting sub with the superior avatar kit is not easy?

Any tips?

S2.0, as awesome as it is, the kicks are severely lacking. IMHO. Either use something else for the kick entirely, or add subkick sample reinforcing it. :D

Step 1: Put a deep sine wave on a extra track and sidechain gate this with the kickdrum track as key.

Step 2: Go nuts.

If you've got BFD2 as well, the Heavy expansion pack has some fat kicks - they have kick in microphone, kick out, and a sub kick too.

Just started using this ghetto sub-kick I've made and it really adds a lot to the kicksound! (and I know; we really need to get new carpets in the studio :) )

77172_10150128505126258_594381257_7839038_709516_n.jpg

i just got the 'metal foundry' pack for Superior. there are some 'beefier' kicks in there. having said that, Avatar has some nice kicks too - but i agree a sub would help - or a nice compression with some coloring on the primary kick (e.g. blockfish). if you're using Reaper - i like to use 'hugebooty' (from i believe Stillwell/JS) and then set it down around 50hz/40hz. be careful though, a little booty goes a long way..

Superior doesn't really need a subkick.. All you have to do is know how to use a compressor and EQ..

THANKS GUYS!

I really noticed this recently when I added a SUB to mymonitor setup. I thought I was going nuts cos I have heard so much bollocks about not having a sub speaker but I have just mixed a track and dug into the kick drum for some sub. I'll try the sub sine wave trick.

I am still lacking a bit down there (not in some ways lol) but the mix translated better in my car. I am fine at getting the clicky slappy stuff but the subs are tricky.

There is a sub on the standard SD kit compressed and equed it can get a bit in there.

My Mix was fine other than I realised I must have hi passed the overs too much. I find the overheads in SD push the drum kit back a bit how do you deal with that without hi passing the sliving shit out of them making htem sound like aq big pile of sizzly shit?

One other thing relating to this thread plus the JEns Bogren one, he says he sampled the Kick on Katatonias TGCD and used it as support. How does this actually help other than consistancy. It wont add the sub stuff will it?

^ And from what I've heard a few times, home made sub kicks usually deliver even more than the typical offerings by Yamaha, for example.