Sub-low hits? 40hz-hits? (DAMN how do you call'em in english!) How to generate them??

I posted a link on here last year that had about 30 bass drops in it... Good luck finding it with our search function though.
That plug in looks neat though, may have to try it out.

How does Devin Townsend do it in Strapping Young Lad? It seems like he side chains a compressor of some sort for the subdrops with the rest of the mix... so that everything squashes out when the subdrop hits ? :erk:

Have you ever tried limiting a mix with a subdrop really hard? that's what happens. I hate that sound personally. Like Metaltastic said, sounds like a mastering mistake to me. Either way it's really easy to do. No Sidechaining, just compress/limit your whole mix hard. The drop naturally takes over everything else. It's the nature of the compression.

P.S., I use a combination of an 808 sample pitchshifted etc, with a oscillator, and reverb. Then I low pass the whole thing and fly it into the mix wherever the band wants it.

!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW COULD YOU FORGET TAD, OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!?!? As penance, you now must read his legacy of crack abuse, Christian rebirth, and Wal-Mart girl lust (on his bio, which I CAN'T FUCKING FIND, link plleeeeaaassssee! :cry: :lol: ). Also, I never noticed before, but has anyone ever noticed that Warrior bills themselves as "America's Rock Band?" And that on their album cover, it says "Great for the whole family" over Tad's RG? :lol::lol::lol::lol: There's so much gold that comes out of this guy I can barely even process it. :heh:

And of course, watch this :lol: :heh:

Have you ever tried limiting a mix with a subdrop really hard? that's what happens. I hate that sound personally. Like Metaltastic said, sounds like a mastering mistake to me. Either way it's really easy to do. No Sidechaining, just compress/limit your whole mix hard. The drop naturally takes over everything else. It's the nature of the compression.

RRGGGGHHH HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

P.S., I use a combination of an 808 sample pitchshifted etc, with a oscillator, and reverb. Then I low pass the whole thing and fly it into the mix wherever the band wants it.

That is true, but "The new black" (the album) doesn't seem too limited to me, it's pretty dynamic and it's not squashed at all.

And I really like that effect (the "mastering mistake"), I can really see Devin's intentions with that weird thing going on... the subdrop is really low on hz, so it's really difficult to hear it if you don't have a good subwoofer... with which you could also hear the pumping RAISING / BACKWARDS subdrop rumble that comes before that effect. It's dramatic to me, and glorious (just like the song).

EDIT: if you look at the video for the song (it's on the dvd from SYL's "Best Of") you will notice that that effect is not there - obviously enough I'd say, since you mostly watch a music video on a pc screen and speakers, or on a tv set - so Devin removed it from that edit.

Ugghh, is that what's happening in Almost Again? I can barely hear any sub-drop (I never guessed that's what it was in all the times I've listened to it until you mentioned it now), I just always heard miserable compressor pumping, and always thought it was just a HORRID mastering mistake. Not for me...

Hey, that is not the typical way to use a subdrop - that is pretty "Devinish" I'd say... :p The typical way is what you can hear on Fear Factory's "Shock", Korn's "Falling away from me", and Subliminal Crusher's "Fuck-Simile" :headbang: (some self-referencing, hahah)