Suffocation live sound

Sep 7, 2006
A tip of the hat to Suffocation and whoever was mixing their sound in Leeds last night because they were outrageously good.

Band were tight as a flea's pants, awesome tone and you could hear everything and every note clear in the mix from go.....none of this pissing about hunting for mid frequencies for 6 songs in the guitars to go past the good sound and settle on a spot that makes everything sound shit for the rest of the set, which seems to be the new talent of engineers at the last few gigs I've been to.

Would have been better if I hadn't had to endure Annotations of a Plastic Death Metal Band with Cobra Kai Uniforms first though...still you can't have it all.

+1, I've probably seen over 100 shows at the big venue in Spokane and Suffocation was one of about 5 bands that have sounded remotely good there despite the shitty room/PA/house soundman, although I'm sure they had their own guy

^ at the Big Easy/Knitting Factory? They usually have pretty damn good sound. Only time I was disappointed with the sound there was when Megadeth played there last month. I havn't seen over 100 there, but I've seen about 7 shows there. Been impressive every time except that one.

They played my venue recently. Their FOH engineer's name was Jared if I remember correctly, and I think he used Sennheiser 609s or 906s on guitars.

^ at the Big Easy/Knitting Factory? They usually have pretty damn good sound. Only time I was disappointed with the sound there was when Megadeth played there last month. I havn't seen over 100 there, but I've seen about 7 shows there. Been impressive every time except that one.

Wow, really? :p I must be going to the wrong shows! I've seen tight 3 piece bands with nice gear sound like white noise in every part of the room... and for some reason the plosives are the only part of the vocals that are ever audible, and they mostly come through the subs :zombie: I try to ignore the audio-related aspects of concerts as much as I can so that I can enjoy the music, but 90% of the time the sound is unbearably horrible whenever I'm there

Same experience here, on their Hamburg date Suffocation had the most crushing live sound I have heard this year so far.
Definitely a combination of them playing tight like the deathmetal gods they are, and their immensely talented soundguy. The venue they played here usually isn't known for good sound... but they made it happen.

Same experience for Warbringer/Suffo/Napalm death show at Toulouse last years...
Suffo played with same guitar/bass/drum rig than Warbringer but both haven't same sound:lol:
Suffo was the best and crushed everything:heh::headbang:

SUFFO RULES. One of my fave death metal bands ever, if not my fave. They rule live and pierced from within is still just devastating to this day. I almost feel like they dried up the awesome riff pond on that album. They took em all!

Fleshgod is sooooo good.

Really?...these are the Italian band right? I thought all the support acts were very ho-hum; (except Annotations of an Autopsy who were just pure crap)

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I think these were the ones who did a cover of At The Gates' Blinded By Fear and it took until the last 30 or so seconds to work out that was what they were playing.

They played my venue recently. Their FOH engineer's name was Jared if I remember correctly, and I think he used Sennheiser 609s or 906s on guitars.

Close enough, it's Jarrett:) And yes, he is far beyond knowing his stuff when it comes to running sound. He is finishing up mixing my bands album right now. Has done an AMAZING job.

Haha, I got hit up about FOH for this tour when I was in the states earlier in the year, they were looking for a FOH guy very, very last minute. Their old dude, Joe, was the man!

Same experience at the Suffo gig in Paris one week and a half ago. Every previous band sounded too loud and messy (boomy guitars fest among others), Suffo sounded just perfect.

Not to mention Frank Mullen stage banter is hilarious :)