Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Suffocation – Souls To Deny
Relapse - 2004
By Nathan Pearce

suffocation.jpg

I won’t waste your time with a lengthy explanation of Suffocation’s past. There are countless reviews on the net covering exactly that. Instead, I’ll simply say it’s been nearly a decade since Suffocation has recorded anything, and you’d never guess it after hearing Souls To Deny.

Suffocation has proved to be one of the most influential bands in the history of death metal. In fact, I’d consider them more influential than the massively popular Cannibal Corpse. Along with Morbid Angel, Suffocation offered up some of the most original riffs and rhythms in metal. Once again, Souls To Deny delivers exactly that. Not only are the riffs on song after song original, they are as tight and precise as any of the band’s previous outings. The rhythm section of Suffocation has always received much of the praise directed at the band. Brutal, crushing, and suffocating are all words that might be cliché now within the death metal genre, but keep in mind Suffocation can do, and always has done, all those things better than anybody else.

While Souls To Deny might not be a huge advancement in death metal, it continues on a path the band set forth upon in the early 90’s. Amazing riffs just come pouring out of this band with almost embarrassing grace. Why couldn’t Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Deicide come up with something like this on their last outing? Without a doubt, Suffocation has delivered an album full of old-school charm, but with their ability to write amazing riffs, not to mention songs, Souls To Deny finally offers something fans of the early 90’s death metal scene have been eagerly anticipating . . . a GREAT album.

8.5/10

Suffocation’s Official Website
Relapse’s Official Website

I SAW THEM LAST FRIDAY NIGHT WITH MORBID ANGEL AND YES THEY ARE TECHNICAL AND VERY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO BUT I WASNT VERY IMPRESSED. THEY PLAYED 3 or 4 NEW SONGS AND WELL ALL THEIR SONGS SOUND PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AFTER AWHILE. I WATCHED ONE OF THE GUITARIST AND EVERY SONG HAS SIMILAR CHORDS. IT WAS A GOOD SHOW BUT I THINK THIS BUTAL DEATH STUFF IS WAY OVERRATED. ITS JUST AN OPINION THOUGH.

Definitely not as good as anything on Pierced From Within, Effigy Of The Forgotten or Human Waste it's a big dissapointment. They've interjected melody into the guitar playing, which reeks of some Swedish influence with the harmony in some songs but other than that i give it a 6 out of 10

You are both fools.

While I agree that "Souls to Deny" doesn't have the impact that "Effigy of the Forgotten" or "Breeding the Spawn" had, it's still quite good. You may also want to note that this is their first release in some time now.

Stand out tunes for me:

"To Weep Once More" The solo bridge into the breakdown part is enough to make any true metal fan throw up the horns of hell. Amazing.

"Surgery of Impalement" Yet another mix of brutal yet rythmic vocals, breakdowns and leads. A classic.

"Souls to Deny" The title track throws you right into Suffocation style death metal circa 2004. Excellent track.

All of you need to remember that Suffocation is one the true pioneer death metal bands of all time.

Long live Suffocation

-The Emperor