Suggest my next Toontrack SDX

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I have SD 2.0 and Metal Foundry. I like the Metal Foundry cymbals, but the snares seem tuned too high, and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the kick sounds. I thought about buying another SDX expansion. Which would you suggest as being the most usable for hard rock/classic metal/progressive production?

Custom and Vintage
New York Studios
Music City

Cheers.

Music City and Evil Drums are very good but have you tried making X-drums and layering? Maybe spend a few bucks on the Sneap presets if you don't know what you want yet. Most of the kicks and snares in that pack are made up of 3 pieces with different qualities.

You can start on your own by mixing in a lower tuned snare or mix in another kick sample that's heavily compressed, radically Eq-ed or tightly gated- whatever. Metal Foundry is a very solid set. Maybe layering Metal Foundry and the default (Avatar?) pieces can get you closer to what you want. AND, don't forget layering in some other samples, like the ones you can find on this forum.

I really like Barresi's expansions. Sounds really realistic and a bit more unprocessed. The snares sounds awesome.
NY-kit sounds good too. Not that useful snares but the toms sound good. But i would probably go for the EVIL one :)

May i ask wich is your favorite snare for metal from all the toontrack releases??

Mine is ludwig suprapphonic 402 from the metal foundry. and maybe the ludwig black beuty from avatar.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yeah, I played with layering using X-drum a little bit. Might spend a little more time with that option and see how the results end up.

Thanks for the suggestion on Evil drums.

Cheers.

id opt for music city out of the 3 choices you mentioned.. but i`ll echo wrecknines comment about using x-drums and layering the foundry kit with avatar, experiment with this and save yourself some $$$$$$$$$$ ;)