Suggestions on Blind Guardian

Night at the Opera is a must own. Its not overly complex. At least not to my ears. I don't get where the comments about it come from. That said, my favorite is Nightfall, then Imaginations, then Somewhere Far Beyond tied with Twist.

I may not have been entirely fair as A Night At The Opera is the first metal album I bought and also responsible for me exploring the rest of the Blind Guardian catalog. However, with that said, I still don't think it really compares to Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations From The Other Side and Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that A Night at the Opera and A Twist In The Myth are awful, I just feel they lack a lot of what made the band's earlier work unique and powerful.

Blind Guardian seems like they're continuing to move towards the more generic, symphonic (and in my case uninteresting) European power/flower metal sound rather than the more aggressive sound they used to employ on earlier recordings that is now being favored by bands like Manticora, Persuader and such.

My personal favorite album is Imaginations from the other side; however, you can't go wrong with Nightfall, Tales from the twilight world, or somewhere far beyond. All of their stuff is really good in my opinion, I even love the new album.

Imaginations and Nightfall first. Somewhere Far Beyond and A Twist In The Myth next. Skip Night At The Opera. Get the rest. Forgotten Tales is questionable. Only get it if you like songs like "Mr. Sandman" and "Barbara Ann" which I personally can't stand.

I agree the Live double album is the way to go, like Bryan said the song selection is basically a greatest hits... and they're all done to perfection. Of course if you've never been able to experience The Bard's Song live, this album is almost as good.

From All the suggestions so far I have ordered Nightfall, still looking for my second purchase. Thanks for all the insight.:Shedevil:

From All the suggestions so far I have ordered Nightfall, still looking for my second purchase. Thanks for all the insight.:Shedevil:

Tales from the Twilight World man! Its got Kai Hansen on back vocals for Lost in the Twilight Hall..Tommyknockers, last candle, traveler in time, Lord of the Rings, greatttt cd go buy it!

I agree the Live double album is the way to go, like Bryan said the song selection is basically a greatest hits... and they're all done to perfection. Of course if you've never been able to experience The Bard's Song live, this album is almost as good.

Yep yep yep. In fact, after seeing them live a few weeks ago I brought the 2-disc set out of semi-retirement, and it kinda gave me goosebumps, since the live CD has great audience interaction (sing-a-long), just like the show did. :headbang: :kickass:

If I had to start over again knowing then what I know now I would go with "Battalions of Fear" first (my favorite). Followed by "IFtOS" with "A Night At The Opera" and "A Twist In The Myth" tied for third. This is just my personal preference. Loved their last two albums and am kind of curious as to why you all avoid recommending them. IMO their last two releases kicked ass! I guess I could see where a huge old school BG fan could maybe be less enthuesed by the last two considering they changed their style up a bit. But nevertheless they are still solid albums IMO. Although NiME has some of my all time favorite BG tracks I don't like it as a whole as much as the others. In the end my top recommendation would have to go to their Live DVD "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass". I still watch this DVD probably once every two weeks or so even after owning it for almost two years. :headbang: