circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Summoning – Oath Bound
Napalm Records – NPR185 – April 25th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

summoning.jpg

An epic black metal band more obsessed with Lord of the Rings than Summoning? There just can’t be one. If anything, this Austrian duo has widened their fanbase considerably since their debut Lugburz hit all continents, and being as consistent as heat in a desert, followers Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Stronghold, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, and now Oath Bound have all admirably followed suit. But the only release from the two progenitors I’m very familiar with is the disc which I’m now writing about, and considering how magnificent it is – majesty put into motion – I doubt such a fine record could disappoint anyone.

Out of the eight tracks, I believe “Mirdautas Vras” and “Land of the Dead” are the greatest of the pack, perhaps even in the running for best song of 2006. However, it’s too early to adequately judge such a contest anyway. Returning to “Mirdautas Vras,” it is (like every press release states) sung in the black language of Mordor, which details the impending invasion carried out by none other than the orc horde of Sauron. The illustrious brass-simulated keyboards, warlike drums, and sounds of marching and machinery drive the number home, creating an atmosphere that is mesmerizing in its grandiosity – how did Protector (keyboards, guitars, drum sounds, vocals) and Silenius (keyboards, vocals) achieve such brilliance? The world may never know…. The other beast is “Land of the Dead,” a morose 13-minute journey that wins the longest track bout held by Oath Bound. The synthesizers produce the most amazing faux-woodwinds, and the overriding melody is grand while remaining cognizant of the sadness in which the piece rests overall. Summoning’s choir portions are yet more to gobble up – at middle-pace of course. Besides “Bauglir” welcoming the listener in three minutes, every song lasts at least eight minutes, if not nine or 10, and though they are strong, none quite measure up to the two I pointed out above.

From what I’ve gathered thus far during my recent web travels, Summoning fans who own their entire discography have another juicy piece of meat to sink their incisors into, while newbies have equal opportunity. Since Oath Bound seems so prevalent, or as available as the women on street corners, there’s no excuse to dismiss this twosome any longer. Even if Lord of the Rings doesn’t do it for you, this will. I’m proof of that.

9/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Summoning Website
Official Napalm Records Website

Oath Bound is simply an amazing album and all the songs are epic and brilliant but I do agree that "Mirdautas Vras" and "Land of the Dead" stand out from the rest. Nice review and the 9/10 is completely justified.

Rodrigo said:
Oath Bound is simply an amazing album and all the songs are epic and brilliant but I do agree that "Mirdautas Vras" and "Land of the Dead" stand out from the rest. Nice review and the 9/10 is completely justified.
my thoughts exactly :)

I I only have to summoning albums and this is one of them

It's really some of the best stuff out there

This was my first blind purchase! :) I just saw "For the first time, music from middle earth!" and couldn't resist. Completely worth the 14 dollars and then some.