J.'s Authoritative 2006 Recrap

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
It was an OK year. No single 2006 album really blew me away. This was more of a year of finding those elusive albums (Legends of Evil and Eternal Death, Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol, etc) and discovering and re-discovering some greats like Swans, Godflesh, Samael, Sort Vokter, Alcest, Mortifera, and Fullmoon.

Already looking forward to 2007: Graveland, Jesu.....

Some of my faves of the year were:

Negura Bunget - Om
Gets better with each listen, it does.

Summoning - Oath Bound
Has the best song of 2006 in Mirdautas Vras.

Jesu - Silver
Best new band of the 00's

Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines
Nate, Terrorizer gave it a 9/10, so there's your stamp of approval. Go get it. Not as good as Alcest, but still worthy.

Enslaved - Ruun
Finally, a true follow-up to Monumension, making us forget about the last two duds.

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Their best since The Avenger.

Others I enjoy:

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Necrophobic - Hrimthursum
Helheim - The Journeys and Experiences of Death
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells

Those would probably be my top ten, in no order.

I can't get into the new Isis. New Red Sparowes is good. Bal Sagoth is still fun. The Darkthrone is OK. Devin Townsend and Aeternus were disappointments. Belenos and Morrigan were slight disappointments. Still trying to wrap my head around the Scald.

As of this writing I have not heard the new Lord Wind or Peste Noire.

Hails

It was an OK year. No single 2006 album really blew me away. This was more of a year of finding those elusive albums (Legends of Evil and Eternal Death, Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol, etc) and discovering and re-discovering some greats like Swans, Godflesh, Samael, Sort Vokter, Alcest, Mortifera, and Fullmoon.

Already looking forward to 2007: Graveland, Jesu.....

Some of my faves of the year were:

Negura Bunget - Om
Gets better with each listen, it does.

Summoning - Oath Bound
Has the best song of 2006 in Mirdautas Vras.

Jesu - Silver
Best new band of the 00's

Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines
Nate, Terrorizer gave it a 9/10, so there's your stamp of approval. Go get it. Not as good as Alcest, but still worthy.

Enslaved - Ruun
Finally, a true follow-up to Monumension, making us forget about the last two duds.

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Their best since The Avenger.

Others I enjoy:

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Necrophobic - Hrimthursum
Helheim - The Journeys and Experiences of Death
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells

Those would probably be my top ten, in no order.

I can't get into the new Isis. New Red Sparowes is good. Bal Sagoth is still fun. The Darkthrone is OK. Devin Townsend and Aeternus were disappointments. Belenos and Morrigan were slight disappointments. Still trying to wrap my head around the Scald.

As of this writing I have not heard the new Lord Wind or Peste Noire.

Hails

Cool. I haven't even heard of that Amesouers, but I'll definitely look into it. I thought you might list Helveto.

J - what were the best non-2006 albums you discovered in...er...2006?

Re-discovered:

Godflesh - Hymns, Streetcleaner
Abigor - Nachthymnen, Supreme Immortal Art, Verwustung
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites, Rebellion

Discovered:

Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Swans - The Burning World
Fullmonn - United Aryan Evil
Alcest - Le Secret
Mortifera - Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera
Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death
Necrophobic - Nocturnal Silence

I just ordered this Amesours CD. Both J and Spikes77 had it in their top 10. Terrorizer gave it a good review. It doesn't have a b&w forest on the front cover. Can anyone say BLIND BUY!!!???

I've seen it mentioned as black metal and post-rock combined; I think of it as indie rock and black metal or something.

It's damn good though; I didn't include it in my top 10 because it wasn't an album because it's only 17 minutes long.

I don't know where to find Alcest!!!

And what's with all these great EPs as of late? This one, the Alcest, the last Ludicra, Kenose, Gwynbleidd...maybe they fit my attention span better. :loco:

The Alcest EP is a lot better than the Amesours EP IMO. A full-length Alcest album is pretty much my most anticipated release for the next year or two (if it happens).