Sun has been emitting unknown particles, carbon dating may be completely off

Jan 10, 2005
I dunno. I'd hold out before making any judgements. Media pulls the trigger on stuff like this way too fast because it's controversial. Definitely interesting, though.

It increases during winters and decreases during summers, so when averaged it stays the same... move along, nothing extremely interesting to see here... just some purposely sensationalized news on the Discovery network.

I think it will be possible to measure past solar activity from soil samples and then make small adjustments to the carbon dating method.

It increases during winters and decreases during summers, so when averaged it stays the same... move along, nothing extremely interesting to see here... just some purposely sensationalized news on the Discovery network.

I'm just assuming you either did not read or subonsciously ignored this section:

In another moment of weirdness, Purdue nuclear engineer Jere Jenkins noticed an inexplicable drop in the decay rate of manganese-54 when he was testing it one night in 2006. It so happened that this drop occurred just over a day before a large flare erupted on the sun.

The biggest question in science right now is "what is dark matter?" And history has proven time after time that solving mysteries like these requires a revamp of laws in science. Yet every time I see someone suggesting something like "maybe there is no such thing as dark matter, maybe there's a problem with physics," that person gets relentlessly shot down by professor and fanboy alike, much in the same way a child asking about consistencies in the Bible might get shot down by his priest: "You don't read the Bible enough to understand the answer."

The answer lies in the question itself: there is no dark matter. We've wasted half a century trying to answer a question that is based on faulty physical laws. Of course the nature of physics -- like EVERYTHING else in the universe -- changes.

"carbon" dating is only useable for samples up to 68000 years old anyway. There's a whole slew of alternative dating methods used in the correct testing of fossil samples, most of which are conveniently ignored.

I'm just assuming you either did not read or subonsciously ignored this section:

Nope.

Thats why i added my:

"I think it will be possible to measure past solar activity from soil samples and then make small adjustments to the carbon dating method."

Which you most probably missed :)

It is pretty humbling to be reminded by nature that we are a long way from understanding the way things work. Just when we think we have a handle on it, a little tear appears. Pull on the tear and it turns into a hole...

reminds me of this, for the german fellas:
091202.jpg

and that one
100630.jpg

Crazy stuff...but I doubt that anyone will ever know why all this stuff is happening, and if someone will, so what?

EDIT: Scratch, I'm an imbecile.

The biggest question in science right now is "what is dark matter?" And history has proven time after time that solving mysteries like these requires a revamp of laws in science. Yet every time I see someone suggesting something like "maybe there is no such thing as dark matter, maybe there's a problem with physics," that person gets relentlessly shot down by professor and fanboy alike, much in the same way a child asking about consistencies in the Bible might get shot down by his priest: "You don't read the Bible enough to understand the answer."

Having gone to classes, seminars, and pubs with many a physicist, I'm wondering which assholes did this sort of thing - and if any of them weren't made of straw. Physicists *like* being wrong - they get to learn. They *don't* like having their time wasted by people who have their own 'theories' based on thin air and fairy farts, but you can't find anyone who truly loves science and would have that response to a qualified question.

Jeff