Sunn 0))) ~ White 1

Draconysius

Timid, Lurid Raven
May 16, 2006
Hell on Earth
furnation.com
This is Sunn's third(?) studio album, and the first in their series of color-named albums. This is a very good album for firsttime Sunn or drone listeners, mainly due to the fact that it's much more accessible compared with the rest. "My Wall" is basically an introduction for all things to come. For several minutes, the muffled voice of a man speaks of the wall of sound, and the unholy instruments of Stephen O' Malley and Greg Anderson. This is supposedly to show that Sunn is merely a vessel for the sinister visions of agony. After the man shuts up, it goes into classic drone for the remainder of the lengthy track. After that, "the Gates of Ballard" creeps on with a female vocalist crooning in a foreign language. Then, something happens which has not yet been witnessed on any Sunn song to date: drums. In conjunction with the chugging guitar riffs, these drums still keep one in the original sensation of the song, and even vary in speed and technique to better convey the chaos. The last track, "Decay 2 (Nihil's Maw)" brings another long, tiring drone of demonic moans, and a child's tortured cries. Overall, this is an excellent album. Not only with this album do you get a great, accessible introduction to drone music, but Sunn pushes the boundaries of drone with several techniques, still staying inside those fine lines.

1.My Wall- 10
2.the Gates of Ballard -10
3.Decay 2 (Nihil's Maw)
Overall: 10/10

Buy or burn: You'd better buy this one. Sunn material (drone music in general, in fact) is extremely difficult to find on p2p, and each track is enormous as well. You'd better order it from Southern Lord's official website, too, because I've found it impossible to find any Sunn at the local music haunts.

I enjoy this album by Sunn O))); it's one i listen to most frequently. I got mine from the net but have noticed that you can buy them in mainstream music stores over here, like HMV and Virgin.