Sunrise... come another day...

Occam's Razor said:
Well, even though I don't own a cellphone

We are the last two on Earth, aren't we?

Occam's Razor said:
and use my tv for a quarter hour a day to watch some news

If I had my way, the television would be in the trash can. But I don't have my way, so it's on for hours and hours, with Dr. Phil, Cheaters, "The Fabulous Life Of...", Martha Stewart, American Idol, Room Raiders, Pimp My Ride, Pimp My Ride UK, America's Next Top Model, Miss Seventeen, The Simple Life...

If my computer hadn't been threatened, I would have put a hammer through the screen months ago.

The only show I've voluntarily watched lately is the Eurovision analysis show that Eirikur Hauksson is on because it is some fine comedy. Most frequently asked question from me: "So who lost to this idiot to qualify?" I swear some of these countries come across as being stuck in 1980 in terms of both culture and television production.

Occam's Razor said:
I cannot imagine that you will lose your ear for what sounds good and what doesn't if you surround yourself with all these media devices...

I can't imagine that one can possibly retain their faculties if they are surrounded by all these media devices...

Occam's Razor said:
I mean, I listen to mp3s on occasion, but this is when I have no other possibility. My car hifi is crappy anyway, so mp3 will do there. At home though, I haven't paid good money for nothing with my stereo here...and damn if there isn't a difference.

When I have some money I am going to invest in some sweet, sweet headphones.

MTV domination in your house...do you actually have that "Popetown" thing on there as well? Print media made a big buzz about that cartoon even weeks before it was broadcast, so I had to watch it. It was not only stupid, but not scandalous or provocative in any way. The church keeps complaining about it - is this because they need their own version of the Mohammed-cartoons to have something to rant?

Occam's Razor said:
MTV domination in your house...do you actually have that "Popetown" thing on there as well? Print media made a big buzz about that cartoon even weeks before it was broadcast, so I had to watch it. It was not only stupid, but not scandalous or provocative in any way. The church keeps complaining about it - is this because they need their own version of the Mohammed-cartoons to have something to rant?

Never heard of Popetown, and the DaVinci Code seems to be Christianity's Mohammed cartoon or something. Except people are buying tickets to theaters instead of rioting as their religious leaders complain.

I'll never understand people.

So Popetown is a stupid cartoon about a childish pope. There's insulting minorities, mocking disabled people and more of the usual claptrap, but not half as crass as South Park or just a bit as brainy as the Simpsons.

Dan Brown feels himself threatened by the Vatican, because a spokesman of the Pope said that Brown should take care "not to be squeezed like a lemon"...holy inquisition.

Matt Crooks said:
There are no more or less rhythm guitars on any of the tracks.

Not sure if I follow. If we can hear rhythm guitar on certain songs, but not on others, wouldn't that tell us that some songs do indeed have more rhythm guitar tracks?

I honestly like the mix of every song better than the mix on Sunrise.

Yeah, I'll buy that. As good as it is, it's a shame it's the first track on the album.

JayKeeley said:
Not sure if I follow. If we can hear rhythm guitar on certain songs, but not on others, wouldn't that tell us that some songs do indeed have more rhythm guitar tracks?

Since I mixed the album, I can say for certain that there are no more or less rhythm guitars on any of the tracks. There are additional harmony and solo guitars that differ from track to track, but there are three rhythm guitar tracks on every song.

Gah, just lost my post...

OK cool, so basically, it's not how many guitars were recorded, it's just a case of how the song structures are devised. Just to cite the earlier examples,

"Night Sky" at 0:16 sounds rich and full. The galloping rhythm guitar works behind the harmonies, and thickens the sound.

"Sunrise", the whole intro at 0:13 sounds thin -- even if there are 3 guitars, my god there needed to be some overcompensation with the bass or something. Bring it up in the mix, make the music pack a punch.

This 'inconsistency' is scattered throughout, but like you say, it's nothing to do with the number of guitar tracks being laid down, more about how the band choose to play.

Gotta say, this album gets better with every listen. :kickass:

Occam's Razor said:
I don't hear even a second of Priest on the album...and reviewers who speak about "the guitarist" and"the singer" are always suspect to me...

I've used phrases like that, occasionally, just to switch things up.