Super Drum FX - freeware drum VSTi

Fifth_Horseman

Watch out, it's sharp!
Sep 21, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Visit site
Has anybody here tried this one yet? I found the link on the german Musiker-Board.

http://www.superdrumfx.com/

It is a freeware drum sampler that looks quite promising.
Comes with a sample library but you can load your own samples.

The interesting part is that this sampler tries to get natural sounds with very few basis samples, three layers at max. Instead it uses soundshaping techniques for realistic sound... random pitch, velocity crossfade, and an "interval control" (fast hits sound different than slow hits). All fully adjustable.
The plugin includes EQ and an FX section with reverb, delay and flanger.

I have just installed the plugin today and run a few tests. So far I like it alot! It might already satisfy my needs for simple drum programming for demo stuff.

That said, I'm a total n00b on drum programming and drum samplers and just getting into the whole stuff.
I have never tried EZDrummer, DFH, Addictive Drums or BFD, so I don't know how it compares to those in features and realism.
I only have a Battery 1 demo and like Super Drum FX much better than that. I like the fact that you can load your own samples and still have all the sound shaping possibilities for realism, even if you only have one or two samples for each drum and cymbal.
However I have noticed that Super Drum FX takes up ALOT more CPU power than Battery.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys, maybe it is useful for some of you. It would be interesting if somebody who has experience with other drum samplers could compare it to those.

Can anyone give me a hand getting this working in Reaper? I can't seem to get it to read a MIDI file i.e. theres no output sound. Also is the velocity/ sound shaping etc kinda plug and play, because with no user manual I have no ideas what buttons do what and they aren't labled that clearly, at least not to me.... Thanks!