superior drummer?

irakayden

Mar 16, 2011
i want to get into programing drums. because alot of bands i get in are highschool/college bands. and well. the drummers are always bad. so ive decided to start programing. i have superior drummer and Kontakt but idk where to begin. i obviously want to create my own drums. not use the loops and such. any advice? or know any tutorials anywhere you could point me to?

i just got into this too, the most important is to find the timing, it helps to use a click at first to hear the timing, i use logic and slate/sturgis samples. if you are recording bands, get with the drummer, and find out what he does, his patterns etc,

im a drummer, so i can luckily think like a drummer and know how it should sound. and i use protools 9. im just confused about the actual programming part. and how to set things up

Well setting things up in Pro Tools goes so that you make an instrument track, then put the instrument as an insert, route the instrument track's midi to the instrument and then program away. Kick is C1, snare is D1 and so on. Try which one is which and find out, it changes from program to program :)

i just got into this too, the most important is to find the timing, it helps to use a click at first to hear the timing, i use logic and slate/sturgis samples. if you are recording bands, get with the drummer, and find out what he does, his patterns etc,

Yeah I can't agree more, I've done this with almost every band I've recorded (since their all locals and the drummers aren't ever spot on). The biggest thing is just listening or as I found out recently with the last few bands I worked with, record the live drums and then turn them into programmed, you can sit there and compare and try to get the dynamics just right with how the drummer plays it; even if it is sloppy on his part.