Superior overheads

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, did a rough mix of the track Nick posted recently which gave me the opportunity to try out the Metalheads EZX.
Is it just me, or do the overheads sound far too "mono" with a serious lack of stereo spread? I know these were recorded as stereo overheads and that you can fart around separating x-drum mics in Superior and panning them, but is anyone else unhappy with how they sound by default? I'm assuming they're the exact same in The Metal Foundry?
Ugh.

Here's my mix so far:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the mix needs more presence definitely.

On topic, I regard Metalheads as an upgrade to DKFH, but still is trumped in comparison to TMF and Avatar. I can't imagine that anything of the EZX pack could have a quality resemblance to the main SD2.0 libraries, thats just my .02.

Cheers for the tips guys. Suggestions on how exactly I can improve the overall presence would be much appreciated (plugins, eq suggestions etc.)

Regarding EXZ Metalheads, it's actually just a small subset of the same samples used in The Metal Foundry, so quality wise, I'm not worried. I'd just rather not have a shit load of HD space dedicated to multiple sample libraries for now.

I could never get the snares/toms sounding nice when using metal foundry, i always print 'em and throw on trigger. the kicks alone, however, sound amazing with some of the included presets. the kick makes TMF worth using, i LOVE being able to automate the velocities and alternate the left/right hits, sounds so natural. and the cymbals i never paid too much attention too, they've always just been satisfactory. now that i review some of my mixes though, they could definitely use a gentle touch of high end shimmer/sparkle, a stereo SSL channel (if you have it) with one of the overheads presets would probably sit them much more nicely.

Regarding EXZ Metalheads, it's actually just a small subset of the same samples used in The Metal Foundry, so quality wise, I'm not worried. I'd just rather not have a shit load of HD space dedicated to multiple sample libraries for now.

Don't know where you heard that, but Toontracks actually did an entirely different session with one kit which was Metalheads. From the sesison pictures and the sound clips, it is obvious that Metalheads shares no samples with The Metal Foundry.

I could never get the snares/toms sounding nice when using metal foundry, i always print 'em and throw on trigger. the kicks alone, however, sound amazing with some of the included presets. the kick makes TMF worth using, i LOVE being able to automate the velocities and alternate the left/right hits, sounds so natural. and the cymbals i never paid too much attention too, they've always just been satisfactory. now that i review some of my mixes though, they could definitely use a gentle touch of high end shimmer/sparkle, a stereo SSL channel (if you have it) with one of the overheads presets would probably sit them much more nicely.

Too true. I usually use Avatar snares, MF for cymbals (except rides, Avatar again) and the NY Studios toms.

That was why the Andy Sneap Presets did wonders for me, to see how he processed the snare to get a usable sound was the key of being able to whip something up that was actually usable. Same thing goes with the toms which I can say I have a tom sound that works really well, with TMF, you have to go about processing in ways you wouldn't normally thing of, but in the end they really work and help get you away from the generic Slate/replacement sound.

I do have a recommendation for Toontrack on how to start making more usable metal libraries, STOP LETTING DANIEL BERGSTRAND ENGINEER THE LIBRARIES!!!!! How the hell the guy is allowed to ruin album after album in terms of production is beyond me (his latest victims Evergrey are just nothing but more proof the dude doesn't know mixing from his ass), let alone have a company let him produce thin, trashy, mostly unusable drum samples unless you want to sound like In Flames or Meshuggah. Just stop, get someone like Jens Bogren or Andy Sneap, or hell even Fredrik Nordstrom as any of them at the helm of a mixing board ready to record drums could shit out turds that sound better.

It just takes to much processing to make ezx mh sound good, its really a pain in the ass. I should of got superior drummer in the first place:bah:

It just takes to much processing to make ezx mh sound good, its really a pain in the ass. I should of got superior drummer in the first place:bah:

What I like about Metalheads as opposed to The Metal Foundry is that you have a smaller pool of samples to play with. Limiting yourself can often be most beneficial.
Replace the kick and snare. If you can't get a good sound after doing that, then I don't think you'd do much better with Avatar.