Superstring theory of particle physics...and stuff

Singularities is the very thing that makes quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity go haywire. But according to the string theories there is no such thing as a singularity, a black hole has a size instead of being infinitely tiny. The name black hole is misleading. It's not a hole, it's a very tiny, very heavy object. One that you do wise not to stray near to.

Borknagar's art from 'Epic' and 'Future Reminiscense' video visualize superstrings.

Hey everyone. This is my first post on the Vintersorg forum.

I have just recently begun to listen to Vintersorg and I really like what I hear. The lyrics are very thought provoking! I have read both "Hyperspace" and the "Elegant Universe" and was blown away by both. I want to study quantam physics/M-theory further. What other books would you guys reccomend?

AsModEe said:
I really like physics. Black holes are the things that interest me the most. If they could make us travel through the galaxy, that would be awesome.. " Sigh " I have the feeling that I'm born 1000 years too early.

I think you might be getting Black Holes mixed up with wormholes. Black Holes in theory could let your travel through time. If you were to sit by the event horizon of a black hole for just a few minutes and go back to earth, thousands of years will have passed (It is explained in the book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene). I have never heard anything about a black hole allowing one to travel through space though. A wormhole on the other hand...

Oh yes and here's a lame schroedinger's cat joke:
Wanted: $$$ Reward Schroedinger's cat dead AND alive.

Mormagil said:
Blasphemy, there's no such thing as a lame Scrhödinger's cat joke!

I agree, no such thing at all. :) Nor a lame Douglas Adams joke for that matter... I looked for one just to prove that statement and came up with little to nothing... So, instead I found an amsuing quote that somewhat has to do with this topic...Heh.

"It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the product of a deranged imagination. "

:)

adnilem said:
I have read both "Hyperspace" and the "Elegant Universe" and was blown away by both. I want to study quantam physics/M-theory further. What other books would you guys reccomend?

How about...

7395312.jpg

'Our Superstring Universe: Strings, Branes, Extra Dimensions and Superstring -M Theory'

047146595X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

'The Great Beyond: Higher Dimensions, Parallel Universes and the Extraordinary Search for a Theory of Everything '

ooh!! those books look interesting, I may just have to check them out. thank you!

Just one question...(if you can answer this) are they very similar to "The Elegant Universe" or "Hyperspace" or are they different enough to be an interesting read? I just don't want to waste my time reading the same stuff again. But who cares it's so damn mind-boggling I could read them all again and again and again. :D

Mormagil said:
Blasphemy, there's no such thing as a lame Scrhödinger's cat joke!

:) there is another one "When I hear the word "culture", I reach for my gun" Hanns Johst (german poet, quoted by Herman Goering)

adnilem said:
Just one question...(if you can answer this) are they very similar to "The Elegant Universe" or "Hyperspace" or are they different enough to be an interesting read? I just don't want to waste my time reading the same stuff again. But who cares it's so damn mind-boggling I could read them all again and again and again. )
I know what you mean, Adnilem. I'm sure you'd be entertained, enlightened and interested in the books as much as I was. When you're into such open-ended theories, there isn't much on the subject that gets boring and redundant in my opinion. :)

Okay, here's something I have never done on a message board before... I'm going to rant about something almost totally off topic and pretty much pointless. Sorry if this annoys anyone..

Boris T said:
:) there is another one "When I hear the word "culture", I reach for my gun" Hanns Johst (german poet, quoted by Herman Goering)
Haha! Good one Boris. After what I've gone though tonight, that's the PERFECT thing to see. :hotjump:
'Speaking' of culture.... I'm sure quite a few of you who have been following this thread have read Douglas Adams books. I am a huge fan, as I'm sure a few of you couldn't help but have picked up on. Well. As of a few hours ago, I am not a happy girl when it comes to the next chapter of Douglas Adams' collective work. Since about 1999, he had been working with Disney Studios trying to get 'Hitch Hikers' made into a full motion picture. Since his death, production slowed to a trickle and now, apparently, they have worked out all the kinks and it looks as though the film is done. I saw the VERY vague and simple theatrical trailer tonight at the theatre before the movie was shown. I was so excited and as soon as I got home, I looked it up online. I have found pictures from the movie, a bit of video from the making of the movie and all sorts of interviews and information on it. They have made Ford Prefect a black man. :err: Now, I don't want to get anyone upset about race issues and all... BUT. Ford was NEVER a black character and it's just wrong. Anyone who has read the books, heard the radio bits and seen the old television show can tell you Ford was suposed to be boring, adverage and nobody to look twice at. That was his whole "cover". So when they describe the actor who's going to play such a character as "Mos Def, a 30 year old black american actor. He previously played in The Italian Job (2003) and Showtime (2002). He will play too in Confederancy of Dunces which is in pre production. He is also a very talented New York City underground hip-hop artist and has played with many great hip hop musicians like The Roots, De La Soul, A... He even released a full lenght debut album "black on both sides" (1999). " .............. I am very dissapointed. It wouldn't be much different than casting Will Smith for Frodo on 'Lord of the Rings'. Instead of being elated because Douglas' dream is finally coming true, I am now wondering what else they will totally change and have for me to cringe at. So, here's just a little heads up for anyone else who's thrilled about the idea of a Hitch Hikers movie. It might not be what we've been waiting a decade for after all.
The Offical Movie Website
Screen shots from the film and video
Some Extra Info - If anyone cares...

Shh... I did my physics exam yesterday. I thought it was gonna be about the exercices we did and I was fully prepared for that... No... it was about doing formula demonstrations... was not prepared at all. I have the feeling I did all that work for nothing... fucking gay teacher I hate him.

Mos Def isn't as silly as Will Smith, but I agree that he wasn't the best choice. I wish they'd just use the guys from the BBC miniseries - they worked perfectly and they were actually British. :erk:

Mormagil said:
Mos Def isn't as silly as Will Smith, but I agree that he wasn't the best choice. I wish they'd just use the guys from the BBC miniseries - they worked perfectly and they were actually British. :erk:

Exactly. It's just a poor casting choice. Who knows what those guys from the old BBC mini-series are up to these days. I read that Douglas Adams had wanted them to do the movie since the idea of a movie came about. Or since John Cleese was a friend of Adams' why couldn't he have stepped in? Eh, oh well. It's just too bad it didn't work out better. I still can't wait to see it, but I can only hope they did a good job other than that.