The meaning of life

Bloopy

Feb 10, 2008
New Zealand
www.bloopy.org
What's the meaning of life?

Those of us who are atheists would likely concur that there's no intrinsic meaning in life, and it's all just a tremendous accident. If anything exists outside of our universe, it's probably more universes containing equally baffled creatures. So, maybe the question needs rewording, eg.: What's the greatest meaning you can give to your life?

Just a reminder that this is a serious and mature section of the forum (outside of the bible basher threads :D). I wanna see a few paragraphs, not screeds of text copied and pasted verbatim from your favourite holy books.

If one doesn't think about a meaning, or live life looking for one that might be all the justification needed for them, without any explanations. But I suppose that wouldn't be enough for someone looking for answers, or a direction.

The answers to a question similar to yours could be hugely insightful. Not why a life has to have meaning, but rather why anyone would wanna give meaning to theirs. It's probably depends on how the individual feels. Eg. if one person simply enjoys figuring out a meaning to slap onto their life then maybe their meaning of life is to enjoy it. Whereas another who sees this search as a serious and satisfying pursuit may then find their meaning of life is to achieve satisfying accomplishments. Though most would probably then get philosophically greedy and claim their meaning is a combo of both and more.

For me these sorts of things aren't a search for a direction. It's more about examining, deducing and defining things based on experiences of where one is at now. Reaching some kind of answer/conclusion can lead to feeling happier and more confident in making the same choices I probably would've made anyway. And if there's no answer to be found, I still enjoy taking my brain for a walk around the block.

x1Y8Xt0wO.png

You could also take the point of view that someone who spends a lot of time looking for meaning is actually looking for the wrong thing.

the meaning of my life is Love. Perhaps this is the most philosophical question of all existing. The ancient Greeks and Romans have been puzzling them, we are still puzzling. Values and meaning of life, there is an essay collection on this site https://studydriver.com/value-of-life-essay/, you can come read if you have a need or are interested in this topic as a whole.

Last edited:
I`ve never thought about the meaning of the life, but perhaps it is happiness

The meaning of life is to seek and love the meaning of life as you discover and define it.

The meaning of life is to seek and love the meaning of life as you discover and define it.

I was an atheist for 15 years at the beginning of life. I have been studying religion philosophy spirituality consciousness for more than 15 years. Even if you’re an atheist there still has to be a meaning of life for you it doesn’t have to be God or religion based. Science is a wonderful thing that can help us understand how life works even down to the subatomic level so I’m sure for atheists that are also astrophysicists or quantum theorists, That their meaning of life is to understand life which is what they enjoy which is what makes them happy and it also contributes to our society.
On the other end of the spectrum you have the Abrahamic religions, And the catechism of the Catholic Church defines the meaning of life on its first page, to seek and love God. And I just want to say that the term paganism is a load of crap. If you look at One of the oldest religions on earth that’s still around today that would be Hinduism, which I have studied in depth for years and is part of the culture Of where my parents are from, most people including some Indian people practice it and believe that it is a pagan religion which it is not. Each of the different gods are simply different aspects of one God and this is the true deeper teaching of Hinduism, and from what I’ve seen, This goes for all the other religions and ways of life throughout the world that have been falsely labeled pagan.
As humanity grows and evolves certain institutions of social control will no longer be needed. Sadly the great things that were taught by great teachers have been used by religion for some bad stuff.

happiness isn’t truly experienced unless it is shared. Shared with others and with life itself. and that involves seeking and discovery. This involves stepping outside of yourself, outside of your ego. And ego here I’ll define as identification with form. And that means the subtler forms of thoughts and emotions. If you learn not to act on your thoughts and your emotions then you’ll find an underlying observer and flow within you and in life. Each of us is the universe that wanted to be aware of itself and thus created the means To meet its self in you, and us in each other. And that’s love.