The ONE AND ONLY "Meaning of Life" + Other related Discussions Thread

South Park had its moments - i loved Timmy, he was awesome, anf cartman, but all the others sucked

I will come here as off topic to off topic :)

Meaning of life is something that is actually quite easy to grasp and understand, the problem is within people that in a lot of cases are not open enough to accept answer because of their cultural and psychological background.

Also, the question is asked in a wrong way based on assumptions coming from christian roots in the west. As this is our only life, and (in atheistic religion, you also have belief that this is the end when you die ;) ) there is a pressure to use it in a right way, to do the right things, and there is a fear of death. So when we (western people) are asking "what is meaning of life" we actually ask for an explanation what to do, and what is right, and ask for a meaning that is taken from us by christianity and science.

In the eastern philosophies the question is more about how to make our life be better according to what we already know. No one asks about meaning of life, as it is obvious, and it is a false questions that does not helps in any way. Instead of that they have worked on methods of making ourselves work with the fate and universe together, and to fulfill our destinies in a most efficient way.

If anyone spends some time just working on a becoming more selfaware and spiritual person, there is no doubt that this person will soon become aware how this question about meaning of life is without any sense, in a simiral way as questions like "Is there a god", "what really is life" etc.

Sounds about right. What is really good is how you don't get anyone coming on saying the meaning of life is to love eachother and be kind, or that sort of ridiculous platitudes.

Like I said 800 or so screens back, I believe we make up our own meaning in life.

If love and kindness and working to save the environment or whatever, gives you that purpose and feeling of self-worth you need in your life, then I think it's just as valid a choice as any ..and one should never be ashamed of helping others.

"My Religion is Kindness" -- Dalai Lama

judas69 said:
Like I said 800 or so screens back, I believe we make up our own meaning in life.

If love and kindness and working to save the environment or whatever, gives you that purpose and feeling of self-worth you need in your life, then I think it's just as valid a choice as any ..and one should never be ashamed of helping others.

"My Religion is Kindness" -- Dalai Lama
this makes sense except for the people that belive "altruism is a form of psychosis" sorry that i can't remember who i'm quoting, but i think there's a lot of people that believe it (at least on some sort of sub-concious level)

MTLHEAD_789 said:
i dont think it gets any more random than goin' from the meaning of life to south park:confused:
i mentioned South Park on this forum because it is really the only American TV series has some sort of political/philosophical message/social commentary clearly visible in almost every single episode

G'Day from a Newbie... I am STOKED to find that there is a philosophical metal forum on the net, it's gotta be one of the most unique pages around

Anyway here goes - in light of the first 'Life' thread, do people think that there is a human soul, and how does it relate to the mind?

Personally I believe that the soul is seperate from the mind, and the heart is seperate again, and the soul and the heart make up the spirit. But there a lot of theories out there

And yes I am a christian, but no i didn't google up an argument, i'm a metalhead that went looking for metal forums

Brad

proglodite said:
G'Day from a Newbie... I am STOKED to find that there is a philosophical metal forum on the net, it's gotta be one of the most unique pages around

Anyway here goes - in light of the first 'Life' thread, do people think that there is a human soul, and how does it relate to the mind?

Personally I believe that the soul is seperate from the mind, and the heart is seperate again, and the soul and the heart make up the spirit. But there a lot of theories out there

And yes I am a christian, but no i didn't google up an argument, i'm a metalhead that went looking for metal forums

Brad

Apologies for moving this Brad, but I hope you can understand we get many posts like your initial one every month. While it's not a bad thing whatsoever, I hope you can appreciate why I moved it to this thread.

-derek

I am curious as to how you attribute the soul to come from the heart, which is essentially a muscle.

I suppose most people will think it's a lame thought but,

I belive our only purpose is to breed. So is the life of any other animal. Stay alive, raise an offspring, die.
I see no reason to belive that humans are any different, maybe because I'm not religious.
You may want to find some other meaning during this period though, like the "Do what thou wilt" philosophy. (Not "Do what you want")

Crycheck said:
I suppose most people will think it's a lame thought but,

I belive our only purpose is to breed. So is the life of any other animal. Stay alive, raise an offspring, die.
I see no reason to belive that humans are any different, maybe because I'm not religious.
You may want to find some other meaning during this period though, like the "Do what thou wilt" philosophy. (Not "Do what you want")

I'm not religious either, yet I do see something to life beyond the bare act of breeding.

Final_Product said:
I'm not religious either, yet I do see something to life beyond the bare act of breeding.

How about spending money and working as a drone or servant to multinational corporations and the bourgeois masses?