Life: The Search for Meaning?

I read up a bit something about searching for a new meaning if Christianity isn't working, and i couldn't wait to reply to that, i will go back and read the rest though...

I'm a Christian (being also a metal since before then head i understand no one likes people preaching so i wont), and when people say Christianity is stupid, or empty and meaningless, it kinda annoys me, but my main problem is when people say its wrong and don't pose another solution, as it was posted. If someone else came along and manages to convince me of a deeper meaning than i have as a Christian which I can actually believe, I would convert to whatever this is. In saying this, it doesn't make me any less a Christian, because I believe that my beliefs are right, so I don't think that anyone could give me a deeper meaning.

Thats sort of the first question...ish.... to finish the question off i think everyone is, deep down, in search of a deeper meaning ... Religion just gives people that deeper meaning. I (sort of unfortunately) never got to be properly mature (i may not be fully mature now) before i became a Christian so i never really got to question the scientific beliefs i had at the time, but now looking at it.... no matter how many planets are out there, that could have life on them, don't you think its a bit strong to say that its all coincidence that we were put on this one, no other competition really for top of the food chain, no other well inhabited planets close to us, a well providing planet, warmth from the sun.... oops, i didn't mean to talk about this that much... next

I believe that a search for a reason to be is a good use of time, taking others beliefs into perspective here, even if there is nothing, then you still feel like you're doing something with your life, and then afterwards who cares, if going by that belief, after that theres nothing, so theres no problem

In a way, both of the last part are good points, ruling out your search for anything means you can live without as much strain on your mind, but when you complete your search it gives you the same feeling (depending on which faith you see that could be a better feeling, like if you realise after you die you're sorted forever)

long post, fun fun fun

I read up a bit something about searching for a new meaning if Christianity isn't working, and i couldn't wait to reply to that, i will go back and read the rest though...

I'm a Christian (being also a metal since before then head i understand no one likes people preaching so i wont), and when people say Christianity is stupid, or empty and meaningless, it kinda annoys me, but my main problem is when people say its wrong and don't pose another solution, as it was posted. If someone else came along and manages to convince me of a deeper meaning than i have as a Christian which I can actually believe, I would convert to whatever this is. In saying this, it doesn't make me any less a Christian, because I believe that my beliefs are right, so I don't think that anyone could give me a deeper meaning.

Thats sort of the first question...ish.... to finish the question off i think everyone is, deep down, in search of a deeper meaning ... Religion just gives people that deeper meaning. I (sort of unfortunately) never got to be properly mature (i may not be fully mature now) before i became a Christian so i never really got to question the scientific beliefs i had at the time, but now looking at it.... no matter how many planets are out there, that could have life on them, don't you think its a bit strong to say that its all coincidence that we were put on this one, no other competition really for top of the food chain, no other well inhabited planets close to us, a well providing planet, warmth from the sun.... oops, i didn't mean to talk about this that much... next

I believe that a search for a reason to be is a good use of time, taking others beliefs into perspective here, even if there is nothing, then you still feel like you're doing something with your life, and then afterwards who cares, if going by that belief, after that theres nothing, so theres no problem

In a way, both of the last part are good points, ruling out your search for anything means you can live without as much strain on your mind, but when you complete your search it gives you the same feeling (depending on which faith you see that could be a better feeling, like if you realise after you die you're sorted forever)

long post, fun fun fun

With all due respect, you are:

1)Randomly mixing Christianity with religion - the two are not singularly one the same.

2)Neglecting the fact that most here are exceptionally well-read and meaningfully informed on this topic and are hardly basing opinions upon what is merely "stupid, meaningless, etc."

3)Not understanding that many non-believers do not necessarily seek, nor require "deeper-meaning" in life to justify their existence. We "are" because of biology, not mystical Hebrew potentates, wandering desert messiahs, and the like. If that is too unpleasant a reality - then perhaps belief is best for you.

Of course you may continue to "believe" whatever you wish. But be cafeful not to expect others to endlessly explain to you why their non-belief is problematic, as it provides you no "alternative." If the only tangible reason you have for your fundamental belief or "faith" is a reason to live, exist, etc. there are libraries, bookstores and the internet bursting with Philosophical exploration of that topic and more! The reasons not to believe are every bit as plentiful...and far more some may suggest. And teenage rebellion, or some angry metalhead-status are surely among the least of them(though common enough:rolleyes:).

Seditious - I'm meaning giving an explaination to why exactly we're here, i understand people can believe that we're just put here by chance, but that doesnt do it for me, i can't take that, not really simple, but that sort of response.

OldScatch - Thanks for the pointers, and i know i wasnt exactly perfect with my comment, i was tired, distracted and stressed about my exams, so nothing i do right now is great (especially my addition, an algebra paper screwed up because of bad counting, gah)

Equally respectfully, my rebuttal

1) yeah, oddly enough im not too great on other religions, so i took that because i can actually write something about it, and a fair bit of the posting is leaning towards that religion anyway. i didnt notice mixing it up much though

2)One person (which is the one i was writing about) did say something about religion being meaningless, ah yeah, post #5, "dead and empty"

3) its a bit of an opinion part here, maybe not on the surface, but a bit deeper down, i think everyone questions why they are here, at one point at least. and as for being biology and nothing more, thats you're opinion, thats where i'd say "i believe we are because of biology"

putting believe in quote marks gives the sense you dont think i do believe, and i do, but thats what it is, i dont know, i just think, theres no fact in what i say about my faith, thats all it is, faith.

All i meant by that was that i believe what i believe, i have no problem with what others believe, but unless they can convince me, then i'll keep my faith how it is, i wouldnt expect any more than that of anyone else, if they feel their thoughts make more sense than mine, so be it, my aim probably wouldnt of been to convert (its an ugly word now, because of society) them in the first place.

Hoping im not too tired and made more mistakes....

Seditious - I'm meaning giving an explaination to why exactly we're here, i understand people can believe that we're just put here by chance, but that doesnt do it for me, i can't take that, not really simple, but that sort of response
maybe we can help that to 'do it for you', but probably not, so let me just ask if you wouldn't mind helping me understand what about it doesn't sit right with you...

Initlally I need to know, what is your explanation as to why rocks are here, and viruses, and as to why there are more stars than grains of sand on any beach?

putting believe in quote marks gives the sense you dont think i do believe, and i do, but thats what it is, i dont know, i just think, theres no fact in what i say about my faith, thats all it is, faith.

I asked this of a man earlier on this morning and I'll ask it of you too...
[he defended his belief in Christian scripture from 'the grace of faith', so I asked...]
is this like a man who has faith he's a chicken and walks around the hypnotist's stage clucking and scratching? a pathological state you perhaps need professional help to recover from?---I mean imagine if you woke up one day and just -had faith- that exterminating black people was the right thing to do... wouldn't you consider seeing a psychologist, or would you just think 'oh, that's normal, same thing happened about following Jesus once' and load your shotgun?

doesn't this idea of faith trouble you?---the way you describe it, or gloss over as if indescribable troubles me...

can you try to elaborate on why it isn't some sort of illness?

is this like a man who has faith he's a chicken and walks around the hypnotist's stage clucking and scratching? a pathological state you perhaps need professional help to recover from?---I mean imagine if you woke up one day and just -had faith- that exterminating black people was the right thing to do... wouldn't you consider seeing a psychologist, or would you just think 'oh, that's normal, same thing happened about following Jesus once' and load your shotgun?

Your definition of faith seems to be a little too close to that of a very harmful psychological illness. Do you have faith in nothing? Faith in something is necessary for any achievement, be it faith in some higher deity, faith in yourself, or even faith in the laws of physics.

'Faith' in yourself and the laws of physics arises from perception and, if justified, increases your power. Justifying such a 'belief' is as easy as dropping a ball and observing that the ensuing action matches that which your 'belief' led you to predict would occur. Justifying belief in deities and the like seems a little more difficult...

Your definition of faith seems to be a little too close to that of a very harmful psychological illness..
not inherently harmful, merely pathological... like a child's imaginary friend.

Do you have faith in nothing?
The most obvious 'faith' that I have is that when I go to sleep at night I will wake up the next day. I would do more than just brush my teeth before bed if I did not have that particular faith. This is not pathological because I have a history of experience to draw on the reliability of this outcome.

Faith in something is necessary for any achievement, be it faith in some higher deity, faith in yourself, or even faith in the laws of physics.
I don't know what you're trying to say here.

I think Metal Heads who admit they're Christian are brave, but I have a hard time liking people who admit they're Christian and I'm also dissappointed in people who claim they're satanist because: They use their religion as a reason to keep on with the awful things they do because they think they're always going to be saved, Christians believe they can do what they please bad or wrong and have a man to cry to on the cross so then they don't have to feel guilty which really

They should, and would be better off if they realized their mistakes and quit asking for forgiveness and use their man/willpower to take control of their lives, but because they're asking for forgiveness from some being who isn't a part of their life, they keep on being an asshole christian.

Then there's the Anti-Christian who sins as much as possible to prove themselves,
When in reality they're just as guilty as a christian person is when they pray for forgiveness because for one: They're both sinners, and basically doing the same thing in both religions
To Sin, so they're both the same to me.

There's the Anti-Christian Musician who is really a christian but we wont go into that.

Laws of the U.S. are made in the order of God/The Bible. Metal Is still Underground other than on the Internet and the Cable Metal Channel, and I don't think it will ever be widely accepted.

I'd love if Metal was widely accepted but the closest thing to Society Accepting Metal is
Metal Bars.

I think Metal Has a reputation of the people involved in it being Radicals on the left-right wing chart, I can't remember much about it... but there's many songs and artists to prove it,

Murder,Rape,and things like that are a part of Metal, then there's Punk that I know of which is lighter but still it's about Robbing banks beating the shit out of your mom and shit like that....
Fucked with a Knife is a good song title, But Yeah I am just talking.

Im honestly not to sure, i know i haven't really spent a whole lot of time, trying to find the meaning of life, or atleast my life.
When you mentioned
"2) Is there meaning? Or is the search a waste of energy better spent enjoying the pleasures of life?"

"3) Does abandonment of the search for meaning and purpose free us?
Or is it the search that frees us from our desire for knowledge?

it caught my eye, I think that there really isn't a meaning, or purpose for life. Life in general, is what ever you want to make it, if your doing something that makes you happy, or something you enjoy, then to me thats the meaning of life.
I really dont belive that everyone has there own purposeof life.

I think the purpose in life is to suffer. And die. There's no easy way to live, and no painless way to die, I've done research on it, and I have yet to find the quickest way to die, it would have to do with something having a fast heart failure with brainfailure out of a coma. If any of you know a painless way to die, let me know..

I think the purpose in life is to suffer. And die. There's no easy way to live, and no painless way to die, I've done research on it, and I have yet to find the quickest way to die, it would have to do with something having a fast heart failure with brainfailure out of a coma. If any of you know a painless way to die, let me know..

One shot to the back of the head. POP goes the nervous system.

In christianity they say to embrace sufferring in the bible, that's supposedly the way of life. Kind of funny if you think about "embrace sufferring" how are you really sufferring if you "embrace it" that's like saying "be happy you're sufferring" AHA HA HA! Or stick to your sufferring.. anyway, I sure hope when I die, I don't have to deal with the painful surgeries and shit like that, I would rather someone shoot me in the back of the head, After I've went into a deep sleep from heroin and other powerful drugs.

my belief is that the bible was written as such due to mans pondering of the meaning of life during what were more sufferable times than the current average.

The meaning of life is living it to the best possible quality one can obtain and be comfortable with, dealing with the suffering in route.

In christianity they say to embrace sufferring in the bible, that's supposedly the way of life. Kind of funny if you think about "embrace sufferring" how are you really sufferring if you "embrace it" that's like saying "be happy you're sufferring" AHA HA HA! Or stick to your sufferring.. anyway, I sure hope when I die, I don't have to deal with the painful surgeries and shit like that, I would rather someone shoot me in the back of the head, After I've went into a deep sleep from heroin and other powerful drugs.

I'm not an expert, but that sounds more like an old-world interpretation of the Bible rather than a modern interpretation. Before the Renaissance, the ideal that you're speaking of was certainly the truth. The Church wanted people to be content where they were in life. Therefore, accept suffering and embrace it. However, after the Renaissance and especially after Dante's Commedia, people began to take a more humanistic approach to Christianity. The seeds of Protestantism were planted and Catholicism began to be viewed as arcane and medieval.