The ONE AND ONLY "Meaning of Life" + Other related Discussions Thread

Narg n Lamb

Jan 12, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Im sure most of you have seen this one before here, but since I'm new and I just joined Ultimate Metal literally 10 mintues ago....but what do all of you think about the meaning of life?

See what the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy books do to you? :p :D

I believe that there is a very simple answer... In the beginning there was nothing...and then something happend, It could have been anything, but this is what it is.....

what do you think?

I think everybody at least has a general purpose but I think most never realize it. I am a believer in Intelligent Design, not quite the way that most ID people are but I do believe that we are created and guided by a higher power, though I will refrain from discussing my spiritual beliefs here.

We make our own meaning in life... and to the question of why we are here, well, I see that completely dependant on physical law.

Graveborn said:
To breed and keep the human race in existence.
Why not to breed rabbits, horses or dogs and keep them in existence? If you are not going to discriminate between races then why discriminate between species?

I agree with Judas 69 that life has no meaning other than what you give it.
It's all like a game, but games can be fun or not and you can play them in a way that makes you feel successful or that makes you feel like a loser.

as a Christian, I believe our lives have meaning beyond just existance, but to improve the world around us for those who follow, and to be custodians of a sort. Not to be confused with dominating/destroying the planet, which it seems we have decided to do instead. Obviously procreation is a necessary purpose in life, but I believe there is more to it than that.

Is the book any better than the movie? The movie was horrible. So horrible, I was not allowed to pick movies for a few months.

This is such a ridiculously pompous question, that only a joke could be the answer. However, since I am a decadent American, I'm going to say either a 12 yr old Lagavulin, or a nice osso buco or a seasonal pumpkin risotto washed down by copious amounts of Brunello or Vino Nobile de Montepulciano, and fresh figs or peaches with perhaps a nice ice wine for dessert.

speed said:
Is the book any better than the movie? The movie was horrible. So horrible, I was not allowed to pick movies for a few months.

This is such a ridiculously pompous question, that only a joke could be the answer. However, since I am a decadent American, I'm going to say either a 12 yr old Lagavulin, or a nice osso buco or a seasonal pumpkin risotto washed down by copious amounts of Brunello or Vino Nobile de Montepulciano, and fresh figs or peaches with perhaps a nice ice wine for dessert.

Lager with egg and chips does me. Perhaps the cultural divide is bigger than we thought :p

Final_Product said:
Lager with egg and chips does me. Perhaps the cultural divide is bigger than we thought :p

Man you are easy to please. I do really dig Scottish Ale. I suppose a pint of scottish ale could also be the meaning of life.

I don't believe in a single universal "meaning" applicable indiscriminately to the lives of all mankind. As far as I'm concerned we are here by chance, based on the environmental pressures encountered by the creatures from which we evolved. Had conditions been different for those species, human beings might look and function in vastly different ways.

To me, life is what you make of it.

It's an ok book, but I find most of it to be incredibly yawnsome. The movie was gorram awful, but the book was reasonably shiney.

Final_Product said:
It's an ok book, but I find most of it to be incredibly yawnsome. The movie was gorram awful, but the book was reasonably shiney.
i loved the book it was hillarious but the reason i never saw the movie was because of the huge number of people saying the movie sucked so bad in comparison to the greatness of the book

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
yes the book is a lot better than the movie there's a lot of people that think it's the funniest book of all time

Humor, much like the meaning of life, is entirely subjective.