Life on other planets

Ahh I can't handle it. Sometimes my mind kinda shuts down. I guess I'll think about it later.

Even at the speed of light, it could take thousands of years to travel at the other side of the galaxy.

IF it was possible to travel at the speed of light (it isn't), you would arrive at your destination instantaneously from your point of view. Unfortunately that is somewhat meaningless because there would be no way to know when you had arrived if time has come to a complete stop.

The fact is, if you were observing us from Sirius (wich is 8 light years away), everything would look like a blur, due to the oort cloud.

Erm, no, probably not. We don't have any problems seeing other sunlike stars which presumably formed the same way as ours did and could have something similar to the Oort cloud. Even if the Oort cloud is totally unique to our sun, its members aren't very reflective(which is why Oort cloud objects are so hard to spot) and it's not dense enough to be much of a cloud at all, so it wouldn't block much light. Of course, anyone could confirm this by going outside on a dark night and seeing quite a few stars that, surprise!, are not ever blotted out by the Oort cloud.

Well in science, they have made something levitate by reducing its mass to 0. While it has no mass it isn't effected by gravity or even light, and could travel from one point in the universe to another instantaniously(or so it would seem to us) i can't really expain it too much cuz I'm not a physics kinda person, but the guy who was talking abou this was.

Silver Incubus said:
Well in science, they have made something levitate by reducing its mass to 0. While it has no mass it isn't effected by gravity or even light, and could travel from one point in the universe to another instantaniously(or so it would seem to us) i can't really expain it too much cuz I'm not a physics kinda person, but the guy who was talking abou this was.

Are you serious? Where did you hear about this? Do you have a link? I'd like to read more on it.

It's statistically improbable for there not to be life out there, it's just a question of whether it's intelligent and whether it has the ability to make contact with us (or us it).

Silver Incubus said:
by reducing its mass to 0

You realise that that is completely impossible, right? I think there'd be global attention if someone had disproved the laws of physics.

The Hutchison Effect uses RF fields and electrostatic energy to create an "interdimensional shift," Hutchison explained. He claimed his eponymously-named effect can make metal invisible.........to "reduce the mass-gravity effect," essentially changing the mass of the spacecraft into light and allowing the vehicle to travel at the speed of light on small amounts of energy.

hutchisoneffect.com

i'm not sure if i buy that. to turn matter into energy? what of turning it back? it seems plausible but extremely sketchy without documented proof. looks like a hypothesis to me

IF it was possible to travel at the speed of light (it isn't), you would arrive at your destination instantaneously from your point of view. Unfortunately that is somewhat meaningless because there would be no way to know when you had arrived if time has come to a complete stop.

True... I know we can't reach lightspeed. Plus, if we were going at lightspeed to go somewhere that is very far, everyone we know would probably die. So... it doesn't really worth it.

Mormagil said:

Erm, no, probably not. We don't have any problems seeing other sunlike stars which presumably formed the same way as ours did and could have something similar to the Oort cloud. Even if the Oort cloud is totally unique to our sun, its members aren't very reflective(which is why Oort cloud objects are so hard to spot) and it's not dense enough to be much of a cloud at all, so it wouldn't block much light. Of course, anyone could confirm this by going outside on a dark night and seeing quite a few stars that, surprise!, are not ever blotted out by the Oort cloud.

Well, it would be like looking at a star with fogged up glasses. Not very distorted, just a field around it, and the star would still be very prominent. Plus, even Pluto would be a challenge to resolve from that distance, and I'm guessing that because Sirius' companion (Sirius B) is extremely hard to split.

EDIT-This is from Sirius' point of view

Silent Song said:
well its not exactly infinite, but big enough to seem that way to most beings.
I mean that the size of it is beyond my comprehension, so therefore might as well be infinite for all that I can grasp it...but I like the mysteries that elude me, they give me something to wonder about...how boring it would be to know everything :guh:

SS said:
i don't think the distances are meaningless, in New Hope they were in hyperspace for a long time, long enough for Kenobi to teach Luke a few things and R2 to play a game with Chewbacca

Yeah, that part always bugged me. :p

Mormagil said:
IF it was possible to travel at the speed of light (it isn't), you would arrive at your destination instantaneously from your point of view.

Oh shit, I forgot about relativity. Damn it!

Well, it would be like looking at a star with fogged up glasses. Not very distorted, just a field around it, and the star would still be very prominent.

The Oort cloud is nothing compared to the dust cloud around Vega if that's what you're imagining.

Plus, even Pluto would be a challenge to resolve from that distance, and I'm guessing that because Sirius' companion (Sirius B) is extremely hard to split.

Sirius can be split in good seeing conditions with a big enough telescope (>8 inches or so)

You're right though, Pluto would be a challenge to resolve but only because it is so tiny and dim; but with interferometry you could detect most of the planets from 8 light-years out.

oh and megalolz @ silver incubus

Apperently in quantum physics, they say that there are 11 dimentions of vibration, and that in order to travel faster then light the vibrations would have to exceed the physical universe, and thus time would no longer be constant, and the effects of traveling and time would change. The guy was also mentioning that light was a posivtive force(going clockwise) and there was a negative force I think he called a quantum vacuum (which may also be the zero point energy field.

Mormagil said:
The Oort cloud is nothing compared to the dust cloud around Vega if that's what you're imagining.

Sirius can be split in good seeing conditions with a big enough telescope (>8 inches or so)

You're right though, Pluto would be a challenge to resolve but only because it is so tiny and dim; but with interferometry you could detect most of the planets from 8 light-years out.

oh and megalolz @ silver incubus

Damn, I've always wanted to try and split it. I have an 8 inch and I can never get it even under perfect conditions.

You must really suck then :p

it's probably a contrast issue due to Sirius being so bright, they're 5" or so apart which would normally be a piece of cake.