Sure its an fairly old album Iron maiden- "A matter of life and death"

round-and-round123

18 and life to go
Jul 8, 2007
South dakota
yes this album has been out for a year and a half now, but i would like to express my opinion on it considering im one of the few people i know who were incredibly dissapointed with it.

lets just start with the title "A matter of life and death" sounds pretty good, but its pretty un-original so the title gets about a 7/10 but that really has nothing to do with the music...

now track 1... "Different world"
one of the few good tracks on here, you'll notice right from the start that this is a good song, with the slightly catchy riff, bruce dickinsons voice excels in this song (but not like in other songs such as "The trooper" and "Number of the beast") overall one of the best songs on the CD

track 2 "These colours don't run"

I like this song, again its one of the few songs i like on the album, Its very Political (which i like) and it sounds a little like "The prisoner" from number of the beast, but i have one problem with it. where is the bass? i can only hear bruce, the lead guitar and drums. are they trying to say "yeah im gonna write a good song give it a good guitar riff, and a good bass line, sounds perfect? ok lets piss our fans off and completely cut the bassline from the track" what the hell were they thinking, the only part i can slightly hear the bass is during the solo" i basically consider this the "bark at the moon" of iron maiden.

track 3: "brighter than a thousand suns"

Right away at the beginning of this song you hear the dark lyrics of iron maiden that you once loved, but bruces voice, something sad. i love the riff to this song, i just hate the vocals, saying bruce doesn't sound like a dying moose on this track is like saying dave mustaine doesn't sound like a girl on "tornado of souls" a good track, but isn't classic maiden.

track 4 "The pilgrim"

now the title of this song makes me think of "Number of the beast" because "The prisoner", "invaders", and "run to the hills" but there is a few problems with this song, IT SOUNDS TOO COMMERCIAL. I don't see iron maiden as the band where you think "oh i know that band they were on a commercial" i want "Maiden? that dark creepy band from the 80s that talked about the hell/demons etc. etc." thats what im looking for, but mostly where this song fails is the lyrics, at the beginning of the song he clearly says "The keys to death and hell, the ailing kingdom is doomed to fail" then randomly during the chorus he pulls out a "Show us our holy sign, turn water into wine" THIS IS NOT THE MAIDEN I WANTED i wanted dark and creepy music like i said earlier, some of my friends are saying "they are just mocking christianity" no they aren't they are deliberately saying "jesus save us" i could ramble on about this song forever but i don't have the time...

track 5 "The longest day"

ok this is just sad yes i know bruce dickinson can't always keep his voice but this is just stupid. this doesn't even sound like maiden. what am i lsitening to? some shitty coverband from the 80s with their collars up to their ears? i want maiden, not shit.

ill ramble on later...

I really love this album, and think it's the best thing they've done since 7th Son, though I know most "tr00 metal" fans consider it an abominable sellout.

But then I've heard them say the same about every Maiden album since Somewhere in Time, which earned so much scorn and derision for its "gay keyboard bullshit." :p

Review is bullshit. The Pilgrim is commercial? Different World was written to be a single! It has nothing to do with the rest of the album.

There are three main problems with the album: All the songs are really drawn out, Bruce is old, and the album is too long. Cutting down all the songs, removing Different World, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, and Out of The Shadows would have made this a really awesome album. Instead it's thoroughly mediocre.