Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Susperia - Unlimited
Candlelight Records – CANUS0118 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

susperia.jpg

It seems that a change of label has also brought about extreme musical changes to Susperia. You may recall that this act features former members of black metal bands like Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon and Old Man’s Child, and it was no surprise that their first two releases sounded like such bands. However, Vindication, their second album, did begin to show some influences outside the black metal world - mainly similarities to Pantera. So it is not entirely surprising that with Unlimited, Susperia has completely left their black metal origins to play thrash. That’s right, any fans of Testament’s last album will find plenty to enjoy with the new direction Susperia has decided to take.

The first obvious change, that one can recognize right away, is Athera’s singing. Gone is his black metal rasp - that has been replaced by an aggressive clean style with occasional death metal grunts. The musical aptitude that the rest of the members display is spectacular. Honestly, their first two albums showcased a band playing music in a clinical sort of way, and it really didn’t separate them from the rest. But with this new album Susperia have found their niche and they play with plenty of emotion and excitement. The drumming by Tjodalv is precise and controlled, despite the fact that he really plays all over the place. Bassist Memnock dutifully follows along, completing the rhythmic background. Finally guitarists Cyrus and Elvorn showcase a wide array of riffs, melodies and solos to leave you begging for more. The opening sequence of “Chemistry” is excellent, and when it is repeated again by the end of the song, with a couple of solos in the foreground, you just get goose bumps knowing you are hearing something awesome. “Home Sweet Hell” also gets started with another excellent melody that leads to intense verses and a very memorable chorus section. “Off the Grid” is a head banger's dream with an unrelenting pace, another catchy chorus, and without a doubt the best solo of the album.

There are a couple of songs where the aggression is slowed down just a bit, as is the case with “Devil May Care” and “Mind Apart”. It is great to hear these moments where the band does not need to go all out with speed and aggression, but rather use their skills to craft dynamic songs.

Susperia was a band I wrote off after Vindication, but they have certainly come back with an impressive album that totally caught me off guard. Hopefully Unlimited will mean the amount of potential that the band will showcase for the immediate future.

9/10

Susperia Official Website
Candlelight Records Official Website

I hear so much about how these guys resemble Testament. Listening to this record, I was reminded just as much of Machine Head's "Burn My Eyes" as anything.

I enjoyed the record but don't find it as god-like as most others seem to.

I don't know what the heck you're on about with all your 'completely turned around's and 'entirely new sound's; Unlimited is a natural and smooth progression of the sound they've always had. I've been a diehard fan of Susperia since the week their first album was released; there's nothing at all shockingly new or original in Unlimited that hasn't been heard before. Unlimited is no more straight 'thrash' metal in a word as the first two were black metal, and neither are Athera's vocals something that hasn't been progressively brewing since the start. Yes, there's more clean vocals, yes, there's less harsh, but that is the exact same thing that happened from Predominance to Vindication. Lose the earwax and the journalistic ambitions, and you'll not sound so silly when you go overboard with exaggerations again.