3. Situational Awareness

4. Devil May Care

5. Off The Grid

6. Years Of Infinity

7. Home Sweet Hell

8. Mind Apart

9. Beast By Design

10. Untouched

This most certainly tops the list of cds I was expecting to toss as shit, but am completely surprised by how much I actually enjoy it. Yes, there is a bit of a stylistic change, but, man, oh man, did they ever hit the mark. Lead off track "Chemistry" is easily my favorite song on Unlimited, and the perfect way to kick off the album. The main guitar lick at the beginning and end of the track are just infectious, pure and simple. The Studio Fredman production is thick and powerful, especially on headphones.

Vocalist Athera has altered his approach to be more akin to that of Chuck Billy or Rob Flynn, with some spoken type vocals as well. Granted, they aren't always 100% effective, as it is the music here that is the true highlight of SUSPERIA's latest. Venturing into blackened Voivodian thrash metal, SUSPERIA have effectively morphed into something brand new, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the results. Songs like "Devil May Care," "Off The Grid," and "Years Of Infinity" (with its riff similar to track one) have breathed new life into the band. It's a shame that many will miss out, due to pre-conceived notions or indifference.

If you owned Predominance or Vindication, forget what you already know about the band. Give their latest, Unlimited, a chance. The possibilities are... well, they are unlimited.

Rating:8.3/10

Papa Josh

Hey PJ,

You nailed this one. Cranking the "Unlimited" MP3s as I type this. I had never heard Susperia before, and consequently had no preconceived notions. The production is flawless. Their sound is very cool. The vox occasionally remind of the guy from Corrosion of Conformity. Loving the kick drum during the chorus of "Situational Awareness". Moving this to the "To Buy" list.:headbang:

Zod

I like this album pretty well. Like you said, big shift from earlier work. I have Vindication too and enjoy that quite a bit, but this is more of my thing.

Evil C. said:
yeah, they actually showed a new suspiria video on headbangers ball a few weeks ago...I like this band...

The parts where they showed the band were shot in a very cool way, but the band doesn't come across as being terribly energetic. The other part of the video, with the older couple having dinner seemed out of place.

Zod

Seen 'em live, and they were VERY energetic on stage. Not a big fan of their music, though, I only enjoy the odd track now and then, such as "Completion".