Suspicious Shure mics

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I´m looking at the Venezuelan market cause I´ve got some local money I can spend on some gear, and easy to send stuff like mics are always a good choice, so I was hoping I could find a good deal on an sm57 or sm58 from there. Now, I found this: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-38269297-combo-de-microfonos-shure-sm58-y-sm57-_JM

It´s both, apparently new, for a bit less than one sm57 usually sells for.

These are a couple other ones, with a normal price (still very cheap, considering the exchange would make it about 80$ for a new Sm57)
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve...riginal-cardioid-dynamic-microphone-nav11-_JM

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-37460611-microfono-shure-sm57-_JM

Is there anyway I could tell without risking buying them? Should I forget about it and just get one for the "normal" price and be sure it´s a real one?

Edit: This is the biggest buy/sell site in Latin America, much like a Latin E-bay, and I´ve bought from the site countless times while living there, so the site is legit, it´s the sellers of course who can screw you, just like on Ebay

I wouldn't take the chance, considering how dangerous the illegitimate market for them is. Real ones are only $100, buy with confidence.

I once bought a "new ipod" from some website. When it shipped 2 months later I received a piece of shit mp3 player in a whack ass apple package. I was pissed.

Point is, people can rip you off with 'new' gear just as easy as 'used' gear.

I once bought a "new ipod" from some website. When it shipped 2 months later I received a piece of shit mp3 player in a whack ass apple package. I was pissed.

Point is, people can rip you off with 'new' gear just as easy as 'used' gear.

Yeah, the counterfeit SM57 market is really bad. Think about it, you are either saving $20, or eating $80. Is it really a worthwhile gamble? These aren't exactly U87 sums of money here...

Be careful. There's a group of individuals over at that SA site scamming people internationally with audio equipment and computer fake offers.
I know this because a student of mine fell for a 'discount' ENGL SE offer, and gave them some $1000 in return for nothing. They basically create new accounts all the time and make false positive feedback by buying stuff from themselves first.

So, if you can pick things up personally go for it; otherwise, stay clear.

I once bought s new 57. got it in a closed box with everything inside. even the tickets. but it was fake. dont take the risk

Ok I´m convinced, definitely not taking the chance, I´ll just get a 57 for that price and be happy with it, it´s still pretty cheap.

"...I´ve got some local money I can spend..."

What is this local money you speak of?

Well, Venezuela has its exchange rate controlled and people are only allowed to spend a certain small amount of US$ a year for internet purchases, and even for travelling, there´s no "legal" way to transfer money from or to there, and the not so legal ways are at over 4 times the legal exchange rate, so it would be dumb to try to send myself that money (which is from sold gear that I left when I moved here) cause given the exchange rate it´s worth nothing here, pocket money. Might as well use it on something that doesn´t use power (cause of the voltage difference) and easy to send with any relatives or friends who might be coming soon without being a hassle to them, IOW: mics!

And to that bill someone posted, that´s a joke, we don´t have bills with Chavez´s face... yet :lol:

Edit: Whoever it was deleted the post? I remember seeing it before posting, but it´s gone now. Whatever.

I think the easiest way to check is from box colouration and artwork, I bought a fake sennheiser for like £20. The box is a "cheaper" colour and the artwork is slightly different, the case for the mic is a different material from the official senn one too.