Sverige.

Disgustipated said:
I'll be in Östersund for the majority of the time. But I'll be travelling around while I'm there. Anyway I meant mainly for Stockholm yes, for the time I spend there. (2 weeks or so)
If Levinska Källaren still exists, go there and have a beer for me will ya? ;) I did a few months of my army training in Östersund , 12 years ago or so, so I have no idea if it still exists, or if it still looks the same. It's a pretty nice town. Also, be careful not to get eaten by "Storsjöodjuret". ;)

Don't know of any good record stores in Östersund (didn't find any there during my army time), but as some already have pointed out, when you're in Stockholm, go to Gamla Stan and visit Sound Pollution. That's probably the record store with the biggest selection of metal in Sweden.

@ Kenneth: My Swedish isn't exactly that advanced, but I can survive and uphold a conversation fairly comfortably. I basically learnt from a Grammar book, teaching myself. I find this the easiest way to learn languages, for me anyway: pump yourself with the grammar, and then work on the vocab. Vocab wise, the internet is probably the greatest resource, as well as music of course, we have a few Swedish movies that are shown here, etc etc. Then when I finally figured out that the Swedish pronunciation was extremely fucking hard to get the jist of, I bought a Swedish language course, with CDs, for around 50 bucks. But yeah, I'm a bit of a language nerd.

@ Deadlift: I'm staying in Östersund because it's free. I have friends there.

@ Stilgar: jag ska finna Källaren men ska inte ha bara ETT öl;)

@ Jävel: Fuck you :) and yeah, I meant svinpillare!

Just make sure you sufficient money as i hear they don't add VAT onto their products so its about £5 odd for a beer.

Living in England i could get a quick flight or a ferry there easy but it would cost me way to much once there and i don't know a word of swedish at all (although i hear english is basically a second language over there).

Congratulations. I'm jealous of you. I went there two summers in a row for college but haven't been able to get back recently. Man I miss Sweden. I could go on and on, but I won't.

Don't miss Uppsala (45 miles or so north of Stockholm) when you get a chance. If only for the largest cathedral in Northern Europe, it's rad. You should be able to catch a roundtrip train from Centralstationen for 100kr. There is a specialty metal shop there called Head Mechanic. Also there is a bar downtown called Fellini's that has metal stuff on the weekends. If I recall they have a framed and autographed picture of Dee Snyder on the wall. If you want to hook up with some other metalheads, check out a pub called Williams, its by the University. Leather welcome. The viking burial mounds and runestones in the area are also nice for stoking your inner metalhead.

Have fun and enjoy the scenery.

Factorplayer said:
The viking burial mounds and runestones in the area are also nice for stoking your inner metalhead.
Oh, yes. Good idea. If you can, check out Hågahögen (also called "Kung Björns Hög") it's a viking burial mound from around 900 BC. Get up on top of that and look out over the fields surrounding it. They were all below water at the time the mound was "constructed". There are also loads of runestones and other cool stuff all around Hågadalen where the mound is. It's nicer in the summer though, since you'll have to walk a bit to get to some of the good stuff.

paradoxile said:
how exactly can a town disappear?
Hehe... I guess we have a slight misunderstanding here. Levinska Källaren is not a town. It is a pub/danceclub with a pub (playing stuff like irish folk music) on the top floor and two dancefloors on the bottom floor. One for techno/pop and one for metal/rock. At least that's how it was when I was in the army. I have no idea if the pub/danceclub/whatever still exists. Or if it does exist, I have no idea if it still has the same layout. The town it is located in (Östersund) is most likely still there. I probably would have heard something about it on the news if it suddenly disappered.

Stilgar said:
Hehe... I guess we have a slight misunderstanding here. Levinska Källaren is not a town. It is a pub/danceclub with a pub (playing stuff like irish folk music) on the top floor and two dancefloors on the bottom floor. One for techno/pop and one for metal/rock. At least that's how it was when I was in the army. I have no idea if the pub/danceclub/whatever still exists. Or if it does exist, I have no idea if it still has the same layout. The town it is located in (Östersund) is most likely still there. I probably would have heard something about it on the news if it suddenly disappered.

oh cool...
maybe the town was eaten by the monster;)
My perents were near the lake when they were on vacation in Sweden last summer...
after I finish my university studies I'm planning a trip to Scotland and the year after that Sweden..hopefully by then I'll learn to speak swedish rather than just writing it.

Damn all you Swedish speakers in here!
Jeg snakker litt norsk:(

And yeah man, I'm totally jealous of you going to Sweden and all. Not to worry, I'm going there and to Norway at the end of next year.