Swashbuckle

There were - Moonsorrow, Primordial and Korpiklaani. Swashbuckle and Blackguard were warm-up acts and weren't meant to be taken all that seriously. Look at the admat - their fonts were so tiny, you could barely see them!

Adding a US band to this tour makes sense on paper even if it doesn't necessarily translate into 100% fitting all the bands in the same genre. And I think their gimmickry worked well to get people in to see the rest of the bands that were of superior quality. So what's the harm?

Not everyone who dons a pirate hat can sound like Running Wild.

Here's where I really disagree with you. I thought BLACKGUARD was sensational. Say what you want about Swashbuckle and I'll probably have to agree but BLACKGUARD was great, I'm not sure what show you were watching. So they asked for a pit, big deal. They were doing what a good warm-up band does - tries to get the crowd all fired up for the headliners. They definitely accomplished that in Minnesota and they were well received.

I think you're overreacting. I am certainly not an expert on Pagan metal or Paganism for that matter, but the overall integrity of the festival was not harmed by the addition of some warm-up cheese. The three headliners destroyed everything once they hit the stage. When you are doing a 5 band festival, a little variety is nice and maybe S & BG were not the best choices but I don't think it was the end of the world. In the end, everyone was exposed to some seriously great music and everyone had a good time. If it gets more people in the door to see the good stuff, let the damn pirates open up for the Pagans, who the heck cares? :loco:

Nathan

I am glad someone agrees with me about Blackguard. I will not say they stole the show at Jaxx, but they were definitely the pleasant surprise of the night. I also do not think they are jumping on the bandwagon. The last song on their new CD is about a Native American legend that became intertwined with the folklore of the french speaking people who settled in the Montreal area. Wonderful song that fully fits some of the general themes of folk/pagan metal.

I am glad someone agrees with me about Blackguard. I will not say they stole the show at Jaxx, but they were definitely the pleasant surprise of the night. I also do not think they are jumping on the bandwagon. The last song on their new CD is about a Native American legend that became intertwined with the folklore of the french speaking people who settled in the Montreal area. Wonderful song that fully fits some of the general themes of folk/pagan metal.

Musically I thought they were pretty decent. I didn't care much for the lead singer, tho. I do give them credit for getting the crowd into things.

Course, by the time Korpiklanni came on stage, the crowd didn't need much encouragement.